1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Greenboy Designs Official Club - Part 3: Loud, Light and Low!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 17, 2014.

1. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the GK 112 has a baked in mid push.. which could translate to being louder. You're 12/6 doesn't have that.
    When I had a 12/6, I had no trouble with it not being loud enough, even with just 400 watts from a Mesa D800.. but as @jmlee stated, these, and the Fearless line LOVE power.. I bridged a Crest Prolite 2.0 into mine and it was glorious

puff father, Hoyt and And I like this.
  2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Basically, the Greenboy cabs are fairly inefficient.
    My old Bag End would start singing as soon as the volume got up to 1 on my amp.
    My 12/6 takes until 5 to give me the same volume.
    But the trade off is that the fEarful sounds absolutely amazing, and has higher power handling.
    It's the nature of the beast, really.

puff father, And I and Hoyt like this.
  3. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Am I going to hurt my amp if I keep the volume jacked up? Tonehammer 500...

4. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I principle no, so long as it stays cooled and your speakers aren’t bottoming out (farting).

And I likes this.
  5. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    It would be very unlikely that you could hurt it with that amp, or any amount of power if you follow a couple of simple rules.

If you turn up and it sounds bad, turn it down.
    If you turn up and it doesn’t get louder, turn down.
    Use a HPF such as the FDeck series 3 if there isn’t one built into your amp.

MTN.bass72 and CharlieC like this.
  6. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I'm more worried about the amp than the speaker, which is why I asked about damage to the amp. There is a HPF built in to the drive knob on the TH 500.

7. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    The same rules generally apply, but I was referring to the speaker.

And I likes this.
  8. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    well i'm going to try it tonight at rehearsal. the rig there is a separate pre-amp / power amp (forgot the brand name). 350 watts @8 ohms i believe. it usually runs into a 4 ohm epifani 212 with a blown tweeter.

Hoyt likes this.
  9. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    When I got my (first) F112 I was using a Markbass F1 an it sounded really good in a mix. Then I acquired a GK MBF 800 and it was like lifting a blanket off of the cab. I'm amazed how great these little cabs are. A single F112 performs so well at every gig that I very rarely feel the need for both of them. They do love power. I sold my very nice 4x10 and haven't missed it yet.

MTN.bass72, Dave Hill and CharlieC like this.
  10. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    just sold some used computer parts, and plan to sell more and use the proceeds to get a used shuttlemax 9.2 (or maybe a streamliner?? i play 95% fingerstyle funk) and another fearful (this time I will get a kit and flat pack and diy). i'm not sure if another 12/6 or a 12 sub would be better. anyone know what frequency is the 12 sub's low pass filter?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Heads up... later this weekend I’m going to list my 15/6 Tube for sale in the classifieds.

kbakerde likes this.
  12. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Anyone ever mod the design (exterior) with some rack space to mount your amp, effectively making it a combo?

Been thinking this weekend about a long play, getting back to an old pairing of an M6 and a 15/6. And how it would be awesome to have the head built into the cabinet.

Also, I built tilt back handles into an old 2x15 I built a couple years ago. This combo would be heavy so having the casters would be very helpful, but the handle would be tough to fit. Anyone ever try a strap style handle to pull a cabinet along?

13. John Swartz

John Swartz

Apr 9, 2008
    Someone's done this - saw it either on a thread here or on the Greenboy forums - don't recall which, but someone made a fEARful combo.

John

14. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    I figured someone had to right?? Thanks.

I did see someone who made a combo out of a 12/6 and a TC Electronics Micro Head recently, so that was cool.

15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    More fearful 12/6/1 questions

momand-dad-003-.

azwhofan, Ol'Bass'ead and kbakerde like this.
  16. Im getting ready to do a 12/6/1 in solid walnut, and Im going to incorporate a head in it. Need something I can keep in the living room that looks like nice furniture-otherwise it gets to live in the shed....

MTN.bass72 and kbakerde like this.
  17. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Nice. Look forward to seeing it!

Ol'Bass'ead likes this.
  18. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Anyone use an Orange OB1 amp through a fEARful?

19. Spino

Spino

May 21, 2006
    Germany
    So ...who makes these ???

20. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey