1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greenboy vs. Barefaced vs. Audiokinesis

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bordinco90, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Greenboy F112

41 vote(s)
    33.6%
  2. Barefaced Super Compact

48 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. Audiokinesis Thunderchild 12

33 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Hello. I was looking at buying a single cab 12-inch 8 ohm high output cab to replace my markbass 4x10 cab. I play through a Markbass LMT 800 head and play a MIA P bass with flats. I was looking at 3 brands:

Greenboy F112- I love the way these cabs look, plus a rave review by Ed Friedland. This is the frontrunner.

Barefaced Super Compact- I've also heard rave reviews about these cabs. They look really nice and heard that the output is great.

Audiokinesis Thunderchild 12- These look cool, but I have not heard much about these cabs.

I cannot try before I buy, but was just wondering what would give me versatility in my tone, plus a loud cab. Can anyone give me some advice?

2. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Any advice would be great!

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Tons of comments on Audiokinesis cabs here: AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

I've owned all three brands and they're all terrific. Most players could be happy with any of them, IMO.

puff father likes this.
  4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, can't go wrong with any of those three. I have an F212 and it eats 810s for lunch.

If the aesthetics of one floats your boat, go for it. I'd go AK or Fearless because they're MIA too. Do you have an authorized builder near by?

svtb15 likes this.
  5. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    BFM Jack 12 beats all of the above in efficiency and maximum output.

seamonkey and 10cc like this.
  6. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    As an F112 owner, my only concern is that your LMT 800 may not be able to push the single F112 loud enough to replace your existing 410.

This purchase may be your gateway drug to a larger amp or twin cabs. ;)

Cheers!

tb_f1123.jpg

dregsfan, puff father, lomo and 5 others like this.
  7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    if you get the F112 and dislike it, please PM me! i have an F115 that is unbelievable. my basses sound clear and solid now. i had no idea they could even be so transparent!

puff father and svtb15 like this.
  8. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Really like what I've seen from the Fitzmaurice camp.

conte2music likes this.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've owned a TC112 for several years (still have it), previously owned a fEARful 12/6 and have heard the F112, and have played through the Barefaced Super Twin, which I think is much like two Super Compacts. None of these cabs are all that similar for my purposes (but all are pretty nice in their own ways), but of course YMMV.

None of those cabs you're considering will really replace a 4 X 10 if you use the 4 x 10 to its fullest capacity, IMHO and IME. I would personally recommend that you either figure out how to audition them in person somehow, or start with whichever one you can return most painlessly when you figure out that that it won't actually replace a 4 X 10. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    TAZ, ThisBass, SirMjac28 and 7 others like this.
  10. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    This is a great point- I somehow thought that my 12/6 could magically move more air than she really can... Which isn't to say that the tone isn't INCREDIBLE, I'll just need two to really start knocking down grannies!

Surface area (speakers) is still the main consideration for volume, it seems!

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  11. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    An old saying is there's no replacement for displacement, which is surface area x excursion. For instance, the Orange 410 has four Eminence Beta 10s, 102cc displacement each, for a total displacement of 404cc. The Eminence 3012LF has 496cc displacement, so a 112 can beat a 410, it all depends on which 112 and which 410. IMO all cabs should list displacement, but only Barefaced does. You'll get all sorts of replies why manufacturers don't list displacement, but they don't hold water. It's like advertising a car with a six cylinder engine as being more powerful than one with a four cylinder without listing displacement. But if the six is 1200cc and the four is 2400cc which is likely the more powerful?
    Then you need to think about efficiency. The BFM Jack is horn loaded, which is like turbo-charging a car engine. Chances are a 2000cc turbo four will beat a 3000cc non-turbo six.

12. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah thats what I was afraid of. The F112 is 900 watts at 8ohms. The Super Compact is 600 watts at 8ohms. I don't want to underpower the F112 and don't have the $$$ to buy 2. It seems like the Super compact or Big Baby II would be the way to go for me.

13. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Sadly no I wish though.

14. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    The thing is that we play with PA support for every gig. Plus I'm tired of lugging around the 4x10 cab when I really don't need it.

15. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    I use regularly a barefaced big baby 2.

First. If you want clean hi fidelity non coloured tone with great efficiency and dispersion, it is a great choice.
    heard same great things about fearless and AK

But...volume is surface area x displacement. Yes the barefaced driver is 550 cc, monstrous, but a 410 has a much higher surface area. I doubt that a 112 would be more than a good 410...on par with some of them...maybe

A 410 has a side by side driver config that imparts a certain tone signature, with non uniform frequency response. This is commonly considered a problem, but you could find you like this effect. Just food for brain

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I can only speak to the greenboy and Audio Kiensis, to an extent (as I have played a TC112, but own a TC118).

Considering your last post - that you have ample PA support for all of your shows, either of those options will be perfectly fine, if not overkill. Both will deliver way more than enough stage volume (even for my two loud metal bands), while you let the PA do the hard work.

I'd say just pick one of those, buy used, and go for it. My preference would be to say pick up an Audio Kinesis (I love mine, and chose it after extensive audition with fEarfuls, not an F112). The greenboy and AK have similar design goals, and different executions for them. One thing I really like about Duke's cab are the ports - he has caps on them so you can change the cab tuning if you feel the need. A pretty novel idea that works actually pretty well.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    In that case you are on a good track!

18. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Duke has begun offering some electronic trickery that allows the AK to toggle between 8 and 4 ohms.

19. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Hey @bordinco90 ...
    I don't have experience with the other cabs listed, but my F210 is absolutely fantastic. The one on the right..
    FB_IMG_1466253360490.jpg
    To me, easily as loud as a 410
    No experience with Markbass, but with my Mesa D800 it's crazy wonderful. About 50 lbs, easy carry. It's a 4 ohms cab, so it would take all of your 800watts and love it.
    Even did an outdoor gig, of course with PA support, and there was plenty of stage volume for the band

20. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    My Markbass rig is really loud. I want a cab that has more pronounced lows than my MB cab. Plus I want a cab with better dispersion. My 410 cab sounds different everywhere on the stage. I am looking for a one cab solution. I do not want to buy 2 cabs. I have no experience with audiokinesis. How good does the thunderchild 12 sound? If I was to get one, I would get the 8ohm version. Does anyone know how it compares to a Barefaced or Greenboy?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021