Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greetings, a little amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yertle The Turtle, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Greetings,

Since there are so many people here, I thought someone (or a collection of people) could answer this for me:

I'd like to have little specifics on what kind of style and overall tone (is it clean and dependant on the bass or 'shape' the tone a lot for example) on the 3 following amps:

1.Eden WT-400
    2.SWR SM-500
    3.GK 700RB

Paired with either an (Eden, Ampeg or SWR) 1x15 + 2x10 or a 4x10

Also everyone's personal opinions would be greatly appreciated :D (As if that wouldn't happen anyway)

Thanks for anything to follow......

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden - clean, modern and smilie.

I don't know anything about the other two, except that you'd be silly to choose one of them over Eden.

3. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Eden is great stuff but if you want something a bit more aggressive(lack of a better word) and growly go with the SWR......no GK

4. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Do you mean 'no gk' as in:
    A)GK sucks
    B)I don't have anything on that

Just clarifying.

I've heard plenty of great things about Eden, I'm just not sure wether they are good enough for a variety of styles.

SWR is something of taste (so I've read) so I really should try it out....

Anyone got anything on the GK 700RB?

5. I used to play a GK800RB...It was an awesome head for the money. I don't really know about the 700 but the controls look similar, maybe the preamp is? With the EQ set flat it seems to accentuate the mids a little, until you push in the "mid-contour"...then it comes to life. It's a tight, punchy sound...and it can growl, too.<p>
    I've never had the chance to play a GK through a GK cab though. It seems odd that so many stores carry the heads but so little of them carry the cabs. If you want a bi-amped rig I would try a matched set because their cabs are supposed to have a seperate horn input...that might be really cool.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is exactly why I bought an Eden - to play a wide variety of styles. If they're not "good enough", then I haven't come across anything better!

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've not used the 700RB but have used other GKs.

With all three amps set with all EQ controls FLAT, I find the GK heads to be much brighter sounding than SWR or Eden. I also find Eden and SWR to sound a lot alike when set FLAT (OK, flame me!!!!).

All three brands are very clean sounding and don't seem to color the tone as much as other bass amps (thinking of Ampegs, Fenders, old Sunns, Peaveys, etc.) I've used over the years.

My personal feeling is the cabinets do more coloration than any of these amp heads, with the exception of the overall brighter sound of the GKs.

8. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000

That's pretty much exactly what I needed to hear.
    Thanks Bruce.