Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greetings and a question...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Grygore, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Hello all! I've been playing bass guitar going on 15 years now. I thought I knew a lot but boy am I glad to have found this place, tons of great information here:cool:

I have recently recieved a MIM Fender P-Bass as a gift from my Dad (he knows I've always wanted one hehe). He got it at a pawn shop, it looks good, not to many dings and I love the feel of the neck, fits my hand just right. It's black with a white pickguard but I'm thinkin I'll redo it with gold hardware and pickguard - should look nice.

The problem is though, the E string hits one of the magnets on the pickup...you know what a horrid sound that makes, so it's unplayable through any kind of amp:(

All the other strings are fine and of course there is no adjustment I can make on the bridge that moves the strings in that direction.

Any suggestions on what I might do to fix this? I did search these boards first, but didn't see anything about this particular issue. So I'd be greatful for any advice you have to offer! :D

Thanks!

2. How bout' you raise the action a tad?

3. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I did raise the action (sorry, didn't mention that) but that didnt really help much. I tend to really hammer on the strings at times so it still hits the magnet. If I raise it ALL the way up it doesn't but I don't like high action....

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Try lowering your pickup.

5. Lower your pickup. Or have you tried that too?

6. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yikes, ya I'm sorry, I should have listed what I did try already (which would be, raising the action on the bridge and lowering the pickup).

Besides those two things I'm not sure what else to do, I plan on getting new pickups anyway, but not just yet.

It's almost like the string is too close to the A string (down at the bridge - strings are tight at the nut, no play there). Maybe I could wedge something between the E and A string saddles but that would move all the strings a bit wouldn't it?

7. Whats the relief like on the neck? If you look down it aka from Bridge to headstock, does it tilt or curve up towards you?

If so, adjust the truss rod.

:D:D

Merls

8. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Well, yeah, the neck does curve up. I've already started the process of adjusting the truss rod, after reading EVERY post here on the subject, I figured I had a handle on it and started working on that 2 days ago.

I didn't think the 2 were related though, but maybe :)

Thanks fer the help all:cool:

9. Let us know how it goes. Truss rod adjustments do need a little time to settle in to get the most noticeable change. Some make a 1/4 turn on the truss rod and leave it for a day. ;)

:D:D

Merls

10. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Hi Merlin!

Well, I got the neck to straighten out pretty nicely (thanks to all the info here).

Dern string will still hit the magnet (post?) on the pup. String spacing at the bridge is not even, should it be? If so, perhaps a new bridge is in order (the current one just looks cheap, know what I mean?).

Oh, a workaround for the problem I have..just move my right hand a bit towards the neck. See, I am used to playing with my thumb resting on the edge of the pup. I can play just as well without doing that tho, so it must just be habit from my old bass which had a dent worn into the pup from my thumbnail:p

11. Yes Grygore, the bridge should have even string spacing, check if your bridge saddles are mounted correctly. (sometimes the groove that accepts the string isn't in the middle of the saddle, every saddle should have the groove on the same side)

Another thing you could try is taking out the pickups and cutting a piece off the foam that supports them, so you can mount them even lower.

12. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Is this the bridge you have?

I also have a MIM P-Bass and I've found that there's only one position I can set up the action and pickup for my playing style without the strings hitting the pickups.

Also, does the string line up between the circles/magnet
    on the pickup?

13. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yeah, that looks like the bridge I have on mine, with the groove in the middle of the saddle. I would post a picture of it if I had a camera:p

It's just the E string that's not centered between the magnets on the pickup. All the other strings line up right between the magnets....

Here, I'll try and draw it out (it's OK to laugh at my oh so superior MS Paint skills:D )

George Looney, thanks for the tip about cutting the foam - I just might try that!

14. You may have to shim the neck. When you shim the neck, in essence, you are raising up the neck relative to the body. You will, in turn, have to raise strings (at the bridge). Since the pickup is mounted to the body and the strings are higher, your problem should be solved.

15. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Here's another thing to look for...

Are the individual saddles installed the right way?

Check to the picture I posted of the bridge and make sure it matches.

There's a slim chance it was re-installed (if it was removed) the wrong way.

I'm just trying to cover all the options.

Here's a pic of my bass. The strings don't line up exactly.

16. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    EMG's and a Badass seem in order to me...

17. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX

That's pretty much what I was thinking;) I've been pricing bridges already and have no fear of installing a new one. The pickups sound ok, could be better of course but that can wait as I can compensate a lot with my EQ and get a sound I like.

Lately I've been putting a piece of electrical tape over the magnet and that took care of the loud pop sound - temporary measure until I get a new bridge....

Mazinger - That's how my bridge looks too, and I'm not sure of the history of the bass since it came from a pawn shop...if you push straight down on the strings, do any of them make contact with the magnets?

Thanks for all the help! You guys are the best :D

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    We try:cool: ...

19. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Only when the strings are right over the magnets -like when my thumb is using the E string as a rest and I tend to push the string a bit to the right or down (whichever way you look at it.
    I have to be careful to not let the string get too close.

I like to keep my action low and pickup high enough for my thumb to rest.