1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Greetings from a long-time guitarist, noob bassist!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Slick51, May 14, 2006.

1. Slick51

Slick51

May 8, 2006
    I'm a fairly decent guitarist playing for 42 years. I've opened for the Spinners to Blackfoot to Delbert McClinton. I received an offer from a band with another super guitarist I've known for over 30 years...he wanted to knock together a blues-based band with a very talented singer we've latched on to, but there's a catch. There's a rhythm guitarist too, and he's solid, with no delusions of being a lead player. SO, I'd be the bassist for half the night, or alternating sets, whatever, to see what happens. I have amassed plenty of guitar gear and want to keep most of it, so I'm just gathering a minimal bass rig until I see how it goes.

So far, I have a Carvin R600 head (I know it's not an all tube SVT, but it was $200 cash and carry...), a new Avatar B410 NEO, and the Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass I've owned for several years (Pino gives me chills!). I also want to get a Precision, or Carvin 4-string bass, or whatever you recommend. I have over 2 dozen sweet guitars (Gibson, Fender, Suhr, Heritage, Hamer, Zion, etc.) and 15 or so amps (Bogner, Matchless DC30, VHT 45 and 50 combo, Rivera Rake Reverb and Knucklehead Reverb 55, THD Bivalve, Fender Pro Reverb abd Princeton Reverb II, etc.) besides 30-40 pedals in three pedalboards, a 8-10,000 watt PA with the good stuff, but am not going into liquidation mode until I see how it goes. I am a fan of less bass is more as long as it's firmly in the pocket with the drummer, and no bass solo disguised as 'holding down the bottom'. May be fun, may be some gear to sell later on, but here we go! I'm interested in everthing you guys can tell me, good bad, stupid. I thank you for having me...

Slick51:help: