Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greetings from Australia!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimmy-X, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Jimmy-X

Jimmy-X

Jan 1, 2006
    Hi bass-folk!

I started playing bass for about 3 as a youth before taking to the guitar. As fate would have it I'm now playing bass in a band, ten years after having stopped.

Anyways, I'm here hoping for advise from (mainly) Australian bass players regarding amps.

The gear situation here is much crappier than in the states, so I was hoping to get some pointers on good second hand rigs in the 300watt+
    range.

Thanks in advance!

2. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    usual questions:
    what type of music do you play?
    what price range?

3. In Perth, theres not really a whole lot to choose from if you're looking at second hand equipment.

But theres a decent range of gear, it just costs more than in the US.
    GK, Ampeg, Hartke, Behringer, Yorkville, SWR, Eden, Mesa Boogie, Warwick, Crate.

I all depends on the type of music your playing i suppose.

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    what state are you from?

if you're from melbourne, check the basscentre out. they ahve great deals, and have a couple of second hand amps going for good prices at the moment eg a 800rb for $850 or a hartke ha3500 for $695, you should check out their website(i'm sure that guy will look after you and give you a better price). a couple of amps pop up on ebay every now and then aswell.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They have states in Australia? I thought it was just one big thingie.

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    nope, six states and two territories. the smallest states are only just slightly smaller than texas. the biggest is a third of the total area of the country!!!

7. yes... WA is huge. And no, we're no compensating for anything.

8. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia

Sure? :p

9. Yes, we're sure.
    The western warriors are doing fine thank you very much. :bawl:

When you say 300+ watt - I assume you mean SS? Not all-tube?
    What preferences do you have? And will you be compensating for a cheapy bass?

10. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Better than the Canberra..., oh wait, we don't have a 1st class cricket team :(

Jimmy-x, I started playing bass this year, after 35yrs of guitar. The difference in roles is brilliant, I love it. :)

I bought a Behringer 300w head and a Hartke VX410 box. A lot of people bag them, but I haven't had any probs at all playing rock covers in pubs and clubs. Keeps up with two guitar players and a loud drummer. The tone is okay, with the amps controls being very versatile. I also just bought an Aguilar GS112 which I use for rehearsals and some upcoming blues gigs. It has a fatter sweeter tone than the 4*10, but it's not quite as loud.

11. I'd check out E-Bay. You might find some stuff on there from time to time.

12. Jimmy-X

Jimmy-X

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks for the responses! I'm in Sydney (its was 47 or 106 degrees the other day!).

I am looking solid state, I've got enough unreliable tube antiques cluttering up my house at the moment!

I'm using a squier P bass. I've swapped the pickups out for demarzios I had laying around and now it does a more than adequate job. Tangent- I know its not a fantastic bass, but when I was a kid, cheap instruments were unplayable! Those communist chinese can really make a good budget instrument!

Anyhoo.. I have looked at ebay. The AU site never seems to have much.

At this stage, I'm looking at getting a behringer head and box, using them till they break, and then buying something nicer, when I can better justify it.

Oh yeah, I play heavy rock/not metal kinda stuff. Kinda like kyuss or qotsa from a bass perspective, and I'm having a ball playing bass too!

Its funny, I put the bass down and have come back to it years later and have forgotten alot of old bad habits that used to plague me.

Cheers Guys!

13. i recently got a new amp

got a ashdown abm500

great amp

check out the abm300 model

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That was the hottest day on record in 67 years.

Go and have a look at a shop called "The Bass Player" in Annandale. They've always got a selection of used gear. They are also a Behringer dealer.

While you're there, I strongly recommend you try the Ebony Quake 400 amp. It's an Australian brand, it's cheap, and it sounds as good if not better than the GK, Eden, and other highly regarded American gear.

15. :cool:
    Hell yeah - i love it when someone mentions Kyuss! :bassist:
    I use ampeg myself, and i know kyuss, qotsa and the fu manchu all used ampeg gear at some time during their careers.
    I found the behringer cabs to have a certain "thin" and flat quality to them i didn't really appreciate. But i'm fussy........
    Take a look for the 2nd hand Peavey gear - like the T-Max. They're good for the money.

16. You could pick up a decent warwick rig for about 1500 new... so second hand would OBVIOUSLY be less...

Ashdown rigs are quite affordable too, and i think quite a few people round here use them...

theres heaps more, which i could tell you about but i dont know your price range.

The way i see it (and from experience)... save more money and go for the better rig than a behringer. Im not saying theyre bad, having previously owned a behringer head and hartke vx410 cab, but soon you will get sick of it and want a nicer set up.

So, is it worth waiting a while, getting a decent rig, and then having that for a long time. Or, spending money on buying a crappy rig for a while, and then buying a decent rig, and end up spending more in the long run?....

i had my behringer and hartke for about 2 months before i tried something decent and was blown away at how better everything sounds, and now ive spent the money to get something decent that i will be keeping for a long time.

17. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
  18. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    have u considered going the preamp-poweramp route? poweramps usually have serious bang for buck and you can totally change your tone buy trying new pre's.. look out a s/h mackie 1400i which should cost about AUD$800 and then shop for a s/h pre on the used market.. maybe a bbe or sansamp rbi? also now Avatar has disro in AU get some cheapish Avatar bins and volia... very high power rig complete for just about AUD$2.5k less than a single eden wt-550..

either that or contact Bass Central in Florida and get something like an Aguilar GS212 and an Eden head.. but do it quick as our dollar is dropping and might dip below 70c in 2006.. *shudders*

19. Krit

Krit

Nov 20, 2005
    NSW Australia
    Was just on the Bass Centre site. They've got an old series Little Mark head on special for $899. Might be worth a look.

http://www.basscentre.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Text&content=1133419714431-6697

If i wasnt eyeing off a TF i might just grab it myself.

Cheers
    Chris

20. +1 on the power and pre idea
    I got my Peak Audio USA1600 power amp - thats 1600w, for $600AUD brand new.(old stock) Fully comprehensive 3 year warranty. It's not light tho......
    The used pre-amp market in the US is roughly a half to a third (depends on item of course) the prices in OZ so scour the 'Bay.
    Got my SVPCL that way - less than a third of brand new price in WA.
    Good Luck.
    smo