1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Greetings from Fayetteville, AR

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by McQ7, Jul 25, 2012.

1. McQ7

McQ7

Jul 25, 2012
    Fayetteville, AR
    Hi everybody,

I'm a guitarist thinking about getting into playing bass, as well. This forum has a wealth of information, and it has already been so invaluable to browse through some threads. I'm on thegearpage, mylespaul, and tdpri, some more frequently than others depending on what I'm in to (I've dabbled in the trumpet and tenor sax as well, so there's also those forums :))

My brief musical history:
    I learned guitar 18 years ago in St. Louis by making my way through a Beatles easy songbook canon one summer, and made my way to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, Radiohead. In undergrad I couldn't be quite as loud, and ended up playing a lot of Dave Matthews. I sort of fell out of playing for a bit and discovered jazz and the trumpet and tenor sax, but found myself getting back into guitar when I helped found Red Circle Underground during a year in LA. I then spent a year in NYC, where jazz once again took over. My recent years in DC were full of re-dedicating myself to the guitar, flailing at gypsy jazz and finding that the blues, Pink Floyd, Cream, and Led Zeppelin are even more fun to play now than ever. Last fall I moved back to Fayetteville, AR (where I went to grad school), and am now living in a house (finally!) where I can get truly loud for the first time in years!

My interest in the bass has surfaced from time to time (I intended to play bass in LA originally), and since I've been recently jamming with a crazy-talented guitarist it occurs to me how much fun it would be on bass for this guy.

Just today I was recalling Beatles songs, and it occurred to me that McCartney's bass lines are what run through my head when I sing them to myself. Maybe as a guitar/trumpet/sax player I've learned to listen to the bass more than anything? In any case, when I get something in my head I have to get it out and the only way to do that is to play it :).

I'll cut the already-too-long rambling, and just say I've been seriously thinking about a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz sunburst and I've wondered if a vintage Traynor amp like this one might be able to pull double duty for both guitar and bass...

2. Welcome!