1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greetings from good old England!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Thunderfly, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Stumbled across you guys and took a look around, looks great! Hoping I could get some helpful info off you guys and in the process I could help you

Bit about me. Been playing bass exclusively for almost 14 years. Did the whole thing of being in a ‘real’ band, cut demos, got gigs in London, built up a following, tried to get interest, thought we’d all be millionaires etc. Then we all left uni, our old guitarist got married and that put it on hold. Humbug!!!

However, we got a new guitarist a few years ago and we now do covers gigs (with a bit of originals in between, you never know), which have ranged from pubs to clubs to corporate events to weddings to boats and a hell of a lot of university events (even supporting Razorlight once)

I currently play through a Tanglewood TEB 100 4 string, through a Digi tech BP 200 processor and out of a Laney RGB 300 Combo as my main rig. Other basses I use are a Jim Henley (I think it’s called that) Jazz Precision, and a semi acoustic fretted and semi acoustic fretless.

I consider myself to be very good technically (finger-style, slap and pop, tapping, the lot), my actual musical theory is quite sound (can recognise notes through sound, read music, understand improvised riffs) but my main failing – and why I am here – is equipment and their associations. I know nowt!!! I just tweak with dials until I get what I like, if someone tells me if I need more gain, reverb and mid through a PA, I will probably look at them blankly. Whether my pick ups are humbucker or not means sod all to me, and all I know is that Stingrays are good basses and Trace Elliots ain’t bad amps. I’ll be asking a lot of questions! :help:

Anyway, thanks very much guys and gals, and I hope I can be of service to you too.

I’ll be offline in about 10 mins so please don’t think me rude if I don’t respond ‘til tomorrow.

BTW: My bass inspirations, Flea, Larry Graham, Jon Entwistle, Noel Reading, Jaco Pastorius among other

Cheers!!!!

2. hi, welcome!

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Welcome, fellow countryman!

Wherabouts are you in England now?

You may want to take a few minutes to fill out your profile, it sometimes helps other folks when responding to questions or just generally chatting. You can do this through the My TalkBass link near the top of the page.

4. Good day to you sir

I'm currently living in South West London way and work near the West End, can't get away from the place.

I'll go through my profile later. When I joined last night I was about to leave the office so I'll do that all today, thanks for the tip

I'll just get me tea sorted and be on my way!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

From your gear list above - I believe that last statement!! :p

You need to get to the Bass Centre and/or Gallery and try some decent basses! ;)

6. You gonna lend me the money for that then? :meh:

7. Whilst being vaguely aware that my set up is by no where near the standard of someone playing the IOW festival, unfortunately I'm on a budget (trying to buy a house, takes the fun out of everything). What I do have though is my signature sound, in a set up that is more than enough for anywhere I've played (outdoor gigs, the good old Hammersmith Palais before the sods closed it down) so that will do me nicely for the time being

Spent yesterday lunchtime playing on a Stingray Natural and by jingo that was the nuts. However, £1150 is a tad out of my price range. Plus, I don't gig frequently enough to justify that kind of money at the moment

You should have seen me when I first started out mate, playing a Legend bass through a 15watt practice amp with a mike dangling off it!!!!

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Welcome....I am an Australian living in London and am very happy I made the move. Even if it does mean I live closer to Bruce Lindfield than I would like too!

:D

9. Very pleased to meet you sir.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If you are looking to update your gear I would certainly suggest heading over to the basses section and you will be jonesing to drop more cash than you can ever afford. However, my advice would be to seriously consider working out what your budget is and then heading over to the gear for sale section as you can save a lot of money by importing a bass yourself from the US used.

11. I was shown a site for importing Stingrays and Ibanez's from the US, you had to wait a month or so for them to arrive, but after you consider £ vs $, they were working out at roughly 600 sterling :hyper: .

To be honest mate, I am not really looking to upgrade, for what I do my set up is fine, it provides more than enough power and the sound is crisp, plus I love the action on the Tanglewood. Plus, I would need to consider transport etc if I started buting heads and cabs and that.

I am mainly looking to gather more knowledge in the technical side of things, for example, when a sound guy starts waffling on I know what he's on about, or if I do go shopping for a new pedal say, and I see this

XXXX bass multi Chorus several times Chorus, Mehrstimmiger Chorus, 1-16 voices adjustable, integrated audio DNA chip, additional Cabinet Modelling exit to the direct connection at output stage/recording equipment

then I want it to actually mean something to me

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You don't have to pay just to try basses!! :p

13. Bloody hellfire, I’m going to the wrong shops then!!!! ;)

You’re bang on right though sir, one thing I do need to do is try as many makes as possible. A big flaw I have is that I stick to what I know, afraid to try new things. I have to get over that. I find something I like and stick with it, which is a bit daft to be honest

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Please - never, ever, EVER call Bruce "sir". He'll expect us all to start doing it.

15. Noted.

Another habit of mine. Called my boss that the other day. She wasn't too pleased....

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021