1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Greetings from Ireland

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by LeopoldBoom, Aug 27, 2012.

1. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    Hi there,
    After a long period of lurking I finally got off my lazy butt and registered here at talkbass! These forums have been an exceptional resource over the years and I'm really excited to be a part of them.
    I suppose a few words about myself are in order. I'm a 24 year old bass player from Dublin Ireland. I started playing when I was around 13 years old, cutting my teeth on the classic pop-punk bands of the early 2000's like Blink-182 and Greenday (or is it Green Day? I never can remember). From there I went on to play in various high school bands - some cover bands, some original bands, some hybrids. One or two did quite well and gigged regularly around the city. In high school I also learned guitar and sang quite a bit, and for a year or two (2008-10 I guess) guitar surpassed bass as my primary instrument.
    After school I worked for a couple of years then went to college where I studied Music & English lit. I just earned my Bachelors Degree in those subjects this summer and now I'm looking to get back to the live music scene!
    At college piano became my main (pretty much my only) instrument, with the old bass and guitar only being dusted off for various bits and bobs. Since finishing however I've totally rediscovered my love for the bass and have spent my time trying to regain my chops, eliminate any bad habits I notice and work what I learned in college into my playing as much as possible. Not easy, but a lot of fun!
    I've got quite a minimalist setup at the minute - 2006 Jaguar bass & an Ashdown MAG 300 2x10 combo from circa 2005 (cant find my receipt or any records!). Nowadays I've substituted the pop-punk for a bit of an eclectic mix of stuff like The Beatles (duh), The Police, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Bruce Springsteen, Gogol Bordello... and plenty of other stuff that I really can't think of right now!

I think that's enough hot air for the minute! Thanks for taking the time to read my little story! :)