Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greets/Joining A Band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Toasty, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Hello to everyone! Just signed up today, but I have been lurking for the last week or so.

Little background info...I go to school at Penn State, been playing bass for a little over 2 years. That's a little misleading though, because I started guitar when I was 13 but quit around 10th grade when I fell in love with bass; that helped my dexterity out quite a bit.

I'd really like to look for a band up at school, but I'm not quite sure I'm good enough. I can play most of the stuff I try,my teacher says I have excellent rhythm and dexterity and whatnot, but I know my 2 years is nothing. I'm afraid of embarassing myself, especially since I've just started learning notes and music theory. My question basically is, what skill level would you say is adequate for trying out for a band? My friends say I'm good enough, but it's not like they're going to say "Man, you really suck!"

2. I think only you can decide when your ready. I don't think anyone here can tell you if you sould or should not play in a band.

3. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    I had been playing for a year without letting almost anyone hear me play. But then I talked to the Bassist at my church, and he gave me the much needed push to get out and play with and infront of people. I'm really glad for the push. If I had known I could do what I can, I would of gotten outta the bedroom much, much sooner and jammed or started a band.

The moral of the story is:

If you can find someone you feel comfortable with, let them be your springboard. Let them make you feel better about your playing and you'll will gain more confidence than you thought you could come with. You'll play better and you'll feel better. Those are two really great things!

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Being in a band in college may be your best opportunity. You will have more time than you know what to do with, and playing music is a better expendature of time than getting drunk (not by far). Anything will beat watching my Hurricanes stomp all over you on opening day. By the way, does Paterno have any plans to bail some convicts out of the pen to play this year?

5. Just jump in and do it. Put up ads on campus and in the local music stores and go for it. Sure there will be times where you won't get a gig for whatevr reason but this is to be expected. I think that just about everyone experiences this at least once. Eventually you will find a situation that is the right one for you.

Good Luck!

6. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I was in a band before I could even play bass, and sounded crap. We were all crap, so we learnt new skills together and grew as a band.

Form a band, you learn alot about how music really works when you are in a band,

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The answer to your question really lies in your getting some ads out there, as Zoomboy says, and getting hooked up with a band.

The reason that getting with a band is the answer to the question is because the ability to play well with other musicians is an acquired skill. "Skill level", as you mention really isn't that big an issue in getting started. Bands will take a bassist who can lay simple lines that are in the groove over someone who can comp Pastorius but can't lay a solid foundation to save their life.
    The only elements your ad needs are,

- you are available as a bassist who is looking to join a band or just some guys who like to get together and jam
    - what kinds of music you're looking to play
    - that you have decent gear, (if you do...can't tell from your profile. If you don't, I address that later).
    - mention you are taking lessons. That's a big plus to separate you from the level that smokes a joint and jams to the CD player
    - a number of little tear-off tabs with your first name and phone/email address

When someone contacts you, that is the time to feel each other out to see if you should show up with your gear. More often than not, the discussion will touch on both of your styles and your respective rigs, and these will tip off both of you as to whether it might be worthwhile to give it a try.

The bottomline is twofold;

1. What do you have to lose? (really, think about it)
    2. The only things you succeed in are those which you try... (sure, you can fail by trying but you will never have the regret of knowing you never tried)

8. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    Hey Toasty, I'm in the exact same situation as you. The only problem is that drummers are a rare and valuable asset on campus. By the way...

GO LIONS!

see you on the 18th :)

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I meant...see you crying on Sept 1st. GO CANES!!!

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Playing with others is the fastest way to improve. Go ahead and do it because you'll never regret it.

11. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll address the important things first.....

The Rashard Casey thing was overblown, but even so, I would have rather had Senneca at QB. Hell, I'd rather have Mike Cerimele at QB than Casey.

I'm also a little dissapointed that the Canes are only #2. I wish they were 1, it'd be that much more of a boost for State when they beat them =)

Cat: This is actually my sophomore year up there. My roommate and I lucked out and got a suite in the lottery drawing, but unfortunately, they have yet to tell us how big it is. Oh well, it DOES have a private bathroom, and I can't even begin to explain how huge that is.

Oh right, this forum is about bass! I actually did try posting an ad second semester last year, but that was probably too late, as I only got one call. When I played with the guys, all the two guitarists did was solo the whole time. It was very boring.

I think I'll give it a go when I get up there.