Greg Bennet designed Fairlane 4 string review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bearcubs9497, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Me and a few friends got together this past Sunday for a jam party. It's the first time my new rig (a Peavey Pro 500 and Pro 4x10 cab), and my basses, one of which is a Greg Bennet designed Fairlane 4 string, got its first workout.

The Peavey and the Fairlane performed admirably! All the EQ settings on the Pro 500 were pretty much flat, with just slight boosts to bass and low mids. The Fairlane was run with both bridge and neck volumes full up. Any needed tweaking for tone was achieved by using the Fairlane's tone control.

Oh, I also had the pre and post gain on the tube pre-amp at the one o'clock position to give me just a slight bit of warmth without getting into any real fuzz.

Anyway, there were two guitarists, one playing through a 250 watt Marshall 2x12 combo, and another playing through a small Fender. There wasn't any percussionist, so we used a drum machine that was run through a small PA that one of the guitarists had. I never had any issue with not being heard, even with the PA and Marshall running, at times, close to full capacity.

The Fairlane was a joy to play; very articulate sounding, yet warm (due to the slight bit of tube overdrive from the Peavey's pre-amp). The neck was smooth, allowing me to do some sliding around, reaching for all sorts of notes.

In short, I'm impressed with the Fairlane. I realize that it comes nowhere close to a Sadowski or Fodera, but I like the way it sounds and plays and would not hesitate to buy another one.
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I used to own a Fairlane 6-string and it was a surprisingly good bass for the coin. Ever since Samick hired Greg Bennett to revamp their line of guitars and basses, they've vastly improved. I dig the Cobra and Tabu basses.