Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

greg curbow 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Feb 13, 2001.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmmm...is talkbass getting a facelift? anyway....any of you guys have any experience with the rockwood curbows? thinkin' about putting in an order for a 6 string...i know they have MONSTER string spacing. 20mm YEAH! any testimonial to the sound/playability would be appreciated.

2. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    What model? I personally have an eye for the XT-33... Everything on those Curbows is custom, I believe. I also believe in the power of the stiff neck, and I heard that the rockwood is the next best thing to graphite. Do they have a trial period? If so, go for it.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Trial period on a Custom Curbow?
    Uhmm I dont think so... , anyway ask Greg at greg@curbow.com
    He is a nice person to deal with, and I have played a 5 string Petite and Its just plain GREAT.
    The spacing is way too much for me, but that should be nice if you want that.

4. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I haven't played one, but my bass teacher has two, a seven string fretted and a six string fretless. They sure sound great when he plays 'em.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Seven string?
    Oh god.. that bass is so beutiful!!

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a 5-string tuned e-a-d-g-c and it sounds amazing. The neck takes a little getting used to--it has an almost classical guitar like neck profile. it is very wide and very flat, but I prefer it on a 5- or 6-string.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

Sounds great, looks great--heavier than you'd think. But, then again, it has a block of brass under the bridge, and it sustains forever...

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    bassmonkee...wow, that's awesome...is that a carved top or is it one of the solid flat tops...looks kinda like one piece rockwood, which is prolly what i'm gonna get.
    also, if ya don't mind me askin', what kind of tunes do you play with it? i would prolly be doin' prog rock and funk. thankies, man!

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Neptoon--

It is the carved top (semi-hollow) and the body is Rockwood with a Lacewood top, and a Rockwood neck.

I play pretty much everything with it. I think it would be a good candidate for prog-rock and funk.
    Dave Siff and I went and jammed with some friends of his over the weekend, and he recorded it and posted it to the web. As soon as I find the URL (and, if I didn't suck too much) I'll post it so you can hear it in action.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, that would be awesome...if your uncomfortable about how you sound, don't worry, i suck...and if you feel really bad, you could just email me th URL.... evil_beavis_76@hotmail.com hmmmm......semi-nollow body? wow...that's pretty kewl. and with the lacewood i bet it sounds pretty awesome. i played a fretless made of lacewood and it was sweet. hey, thanx, man!

10. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    i thought people only talked about the corts on this site. glad to see there are some other satisfied curbow owners out there. i have yet to play a bass i like more. imo, nothing else has that clarity with the playability. the neck is the best (straightest, balanced, comfortable, snappy, etc.) around. i think that if most people who say the wide spacing isn't for them just played one for a while, they would never be able to go back to anything else. i've had my curbow since 1997 and am still amazed everytime i open the case. if you're considering one, be careful of playing it for too long--you won't want to go home to your other basses. just my opinion.
    matt