Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greg Curbow basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazytom, Mar 22, 2004.

1. crazytom

crazytom

Mar 21, 2004
    Do you own one or know anyone who does? If so, what do you think of them?

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Just got this one built:
    [​IMG]

It took almost 2 years to complete, but so far, I'm pretty blown away by it, even if it is a 4-string ;)

3. I've owned three of them, and have a custom singlecut semi-hollow 6 in the works right now. Mine's taking even longer than berklee64's, but it's also a new design that Greg's been working on. Will be sure and give a review when it's finished.

To me, Curbow's Rockwood necks are the ideal combination of wood and composite qualities--ridiculously even, solid, and fast, but with a warmth that I don't normally associate with graphite necks (and I've owned Modulus, Zon, Steinberger, and Moses as well). The standard neck is very wide and flat, though, and not everyone cares for that, but if you'd getting a new one you can order whatever string spacing you like.

Greg's workmanship is pretty close to flawless in my experience, and I love the carved tops. The normal Petite body is a bit too small for some folks, but there are models with larger bodies. They also tend to be heavier than you'd expect because of the Rockwood and the brass tone block under the bridge, but mine have all balanced just fine on a strap.

bassmonkeee also owns several Curbows--I'm sure he'll be along shortly to tell you about them....

Mike

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    no experience playing them, but Adam Nitti's tone on Evindence
    ( he plays many basses , but a Curbow domintes) is absolutely amazing- not to mention he plays his ass off-- but the Curbow sounded great!

5. Greg built me a custom Jazz-style bass, and I love it. Ever since I first read about his use of rockwood for necks, I'd been thinking how cool it would be to have one of his basses. Thanks to bassmonkeee, I got to meet Greg, we sketched out my bass and a year later, I had it. It's my main bass now. The neck is incredibly solid. Here's a link to the photo gallery of it on Curbow's Web site:
    http://www.curbow.com/store/gallerypages/SiffBass/index.htm

[​IMG]

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I got to try this bass at the ATL GTG last Sunday and it is the most solid feeling j-basses I have ever played.

That neck is stiff.

What were the pups in that again?

*siff, thanks for making it out the other day!

7. Glad you liked it, Jai! Your stint with it was the only time it got played at the GTG, I think.
    The pickups are Lindy Fralins.. in fact, they're the first set of Jazz humbuckers he ever made.

8. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I really didn't get to play all that many basses at the GTG (Jason's 8, my Warrior, The SSW, The Curbow Jazz, JT dBlncK 7/7fl), I 'm glad your's was one of the ones I played. I really missed out playing Gard's Lakland, Soybase made it sound killer.

The SSW is getting a bunch of attention, went to the Blues Jam last night... with in the first few bars, people from all over the bar came to stand in front of me and look at the bass... :eek:

I played Jason's (bassmonkeee) 6string fretless Curbow after he traded it for the Bongo and the RockWood Fretless really sings. The body on that 6 is real slim, I really had no idea it was like that.

I don't think that I have seen it there for a while, so someone might have bought it.

9. The flat (non-carved) top Petites tend to be really thin from front to back. The carved top ones are closer to a Les Paul in thickness, which I found a bit more comfortable.

Mike

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    OH, I see.

That 6'er tapered almost to a blade around the arm contour.

From the looks of it, berklee46's bass looks thick and solid.

j

11. *drool*

[​IMG]

12. crazytom

crazytom

Mar 21, 2004
    I would love to buy one of them, but I think they are a little out of my price range.

Berklee, how much did you pay for yours? And is this one yours http://curbow.com/inprogress2.htm

13. crazytom

crazytom

Mar 21, 2004
    It will be mine, oh yes it will be mine. I'd like to get the SIMS LED on my Warwick.

[​IMG]