Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greg Howard (Stick) in Charlottesville tonight

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Veej007, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Veej007

Veej007

Sep 6, 2004
    Leading Chapman Stick player Greg Howard will be performing tonight alongside trumpet player John D'earth, guitarist Jamal Millner, and drummer James McLaughlin at the West Main restaurant in Charlottesville, Virginia. The show will start at 9:30.

For those that might not already know, the Stick is a string instrument designed specifically for two-hand tapping, combining elements drawn from guitar, bass, and piano. You can watch a demonstration at http://www.eyeoncville.com/005/005vid02.htm or find out more at www.stick.com .

2. Veej007

Veej007

Sep 6, 2004
    ...and more:

Thursday 01.13
    West Main in Charlottesville, Virginia
    with James McLaughlin on drums
    333 West Main St
    9:00 pm. Call 434-293-2605 for more information.

Saturday 01.15
    Gravity Lounge in Charlottesville, Virginia
    with John D'earth, Matt Wyatt, and Jamal Millner
    103 South First Street
    www.gravity-lounge.com
    8:00 pm. $5 cover. Call 434-977-5590 for more information.

Friday 01.21
    Stick Night at the Knitting Factory in Los Angeles, California
    see www.stick.com/news/sn05.html for more information
    8:00-1:00

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Saw him in Ohio opening for Michael Manring-awesome musician.

This probably belongs in Miscellaneous though-a mod should move it for you.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Right you are!

5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    The guy's an incredible musician, but a little too "religious" about the Stick from some of the newgroup postings I've seen. I really wanted a Stick at one time but all the bickering about some suppsedly bad business deal that happened 20 years ago and still remains just turned me off to the whole thing. I'll stick with 4/5/6 strings but still be amazed by Greg's playing.

6. Veej007

Veej007

Sep 6, 2004
    Some more upcoming gigs...

02.01.05: The Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia (540-953-0651)
    02.04.05: Jazz Street in Lynchburg, Virginia (434-385-0100)
    02.05.05: Jazz Street in Lynchburg, Virginia (434-385-0100)

Greg just played out at the NAMM trade show in California, too, so you'll get a chance to see him with some cutting edge gear, including a new preamp pedal meant for use with Stick and guitar and the brand new Alto Stick, a higher-pitched permutation of the original.

>Saw him in Ohio opening for Michael Manring

There's another Manring/Howard thing coming up. March, maybe? I can't remember exactly.

> The guy's an incredible musician, but a little too "religious"
    > about the Stick from some of the newgroup postings I've
    > seen. I really wanted a Stick at one time but all the
    > bickering about some suppsedly bad business deal
    > that happened 20 years ago and still remains just turned
    > me off to the whole thing. I'll stick with 4/5/6 strings but
    > still be amazed by Greg's playing.

Not a bad business deal, if you're talking about what I think you are. Emmett Chapman sued a few of the people making knockoff instruments because they were using some pretty shady marketing techniques that basically leeched off his instrument's reputation/market share/etc. It's a pretty sticky situation all around. Greg still isn't really down with the Warr Guitars and Megatars and all the other lesser known variants, but he's nowhere near as sore about it as he used to be. (That is, considerably less "religious" these days.)

On the other hand, I'm a bit of a greenhorn Stick player myself, and... oh my, what an amazing instrument. In that sense, it absolutely IS a religious experience.

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have seen him a couple of/few times. He doesn't make it to DFW very often. He is an amazing musician. The first time I saw him I was already interested in the Stick, but every stickist I had seen up to that point used it as a bass. In most cases they played just on the bass side of the neck, but with both hands. In two cases they played with just the left hand. One of those two guys played in a duo that I saw where he used both hands on both sides, but was still just comping for his guitar player.

Greg was the first guy I ever saw really playing a stick as it was obviously meant to be played. I kind of hate him for that, in the same way I occasionally hate Victor Wooten.

The same way I can't stand to pick up my bass the day after a Flecktones concert, I didn't touch my stick for several days after seeing Greg the first time. But when I could stand to try it again I was inspired by Greg. This is also much like seeing Victa. :eyebrow:

I continue to stink on stick, but I keep hoping I will get the hang of this thing well enough to use it with the band.

8. Veej007

Veej007

Sep 6, 2004
    Well hey, look at this, we've got another gig with Michael Manring for this month! Check it out if you're in the area.

March 9th: Gravity Lounge in Charlottesville; with Michael Manring!
    March 18th: Gravity Lounge in Charlottesville; celebrating 20 years of playing Stick, with lots of past musical partners, including John D'earth, Dawn Thompson from the Code Magenta Project, and Jamal Millner
    March 24th: Michael's Bistro in Charlottesville
    March 26th: The Electric Maid in Washington DC

Not to connect everything in this thread TOO cleanly, but Victa's also coming to Charlottesville this month...

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
  10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I saw he and Manring in Charlottesville a year or so ago, and was blown away. That's interesting that they play together so often. I think they're playing here in the DC area sometime in the near future, and once I find out when, I'll be knocking over whatever old ladies and small children happen to be standing in between me and my tickets.

11. Veej007

Veej007

Sep 6, 2004
    Greg has just released a new album called "Ether Ore," a collection of live improvisations from the past year and a half. It's a really intriguing listen, even for people who already own his other live improv album. "Water on the Moon" was one long continuous performance; the "Ether Ore" pieces, on the other hand, were recorded over the course of several different performances and are the cream of the crop for that time period. Simply spreading the tapings apart made for a much more varied album.

You can keep up with Greg and order the album by visiting http://www.greghoward.com . It's also available from Amazon.com, MusicToday.com, and from Stick Enterprises, the company that makes Chapman Sticks, but if you buy it directly from Greg, he's running a special promotion in which you'll be able to get a second album for just $7 more.

Alright, now with all that out of the way, below are details for Greg's May performances. Old ladies and children beware.

Charlottesville, VA - May 7 - Tandem School
    Charlottesville, VA - May 7 - Gravity Lounge
    Nanaimo, British Columbia - May 11 - Duncan Garage Showroom
    Gabriola Island, British Columbia - May 13 - White Hart Pub

Thanks for supporting independent music, everyone.