1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greg Lake

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by knarleybass, Dec 11, 2006.

1. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I just got a copy of Brain Salad Sugery on CD the other day. It's been at least 15 years since I have heard it and I must say that I never noticed how great a bass player Greg Lake is, I guess I was so taken with Keith Emerson's playing I sort of lost the bass parts. I highly suggest this CD.
    Anyone else care to comment?
    Bob

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    +1 to that bro! Probably my favorite band and cd of all time.What drew me to ELP was more of Keith's Hammond and synth sounds,but Gregs guitar and bass work was no doubt a big contribution. He also has one of (imho) the best voices out there.Or did. They got a good deal when he left Crimson.

3. babuska

babuska

Nov 14, 2005
    Finland
    Tarkus was my first rock album. I bought it in the year 1971. It blew my mind totally out those days, and I think that it was the main reason why I became a rock musician.
    Last week I was practising with my old bandmates for a reunion gig. After a twenty years it felt so bittersweet, all those memories...
    And yes, Greg Lake was so great bassplayer, indeed, I loved also his work on the In the Court of a Crimson King. Great singer and bassplayer, a natural musician.
    Sorry if my english is not perfect, I´m from Finland.

4. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Check out his solo stuff!

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I think his tone keeps him from being noticed more. He blends into the songs well but doesn't have an overly aggressive sound that you pick up on right away like many of the other great bassists from that era.

6. i just bought a copy of 'brian salad surgery' a few months ago. what drove it was hearing greg on 'in the court of the crimson king.' he is a great vocalist and talented player. as for his tone, it's AMAZING on the king crimson release. the overdrive is supreme!

7. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    I am a huge Greg Lake fan, and having seen ELP many times over the years, all I can say is Lake's playing never fails to impress me. His tone generally stinks though. Even live.

For more great playing, get the Pictures at an Exhibition recording as well as Tarkus. He is also a great vocalist and a very good guitar player.

8. there's another thread on him somewhere, maybe in recordings, talking about the fuzzed out tone on 'The Barbarian'. Quite possibly the best distorted bass sound on record.

9. Started by yours truly and YES...best distorto-tone ever.

I coincidentally just was watching a few tracks on their 1996 (?) Live at Albert Hall DVD and I have to say I agree with another post here- his bass tone is terrible! Doesn't cut at all.

10. How could you not be, with a handle like JeremyBender!:meh:

11. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Ive seen ELP twice and they blew mw away both times. Greg Lake is highly underrated.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  12. I can't stand ELP, but Lake is a truly excellent player. Plus, he wrote the riff for "21st Century Schizoid Man," which is probably in the top 10 riffs of all time.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I saw them on a reunion tour in the early ninties. Not only were they great, they had a live sound system that sounded like a high dollar home system, i.e you could actually clearly hear the bass seperate from the kickdrum, etc. Best live sound system I've ever heard.

14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I'm a huge ELP fan too; I saw them on the "Works" tour back in '77. Greg was playing 8 string and 4 string Alembics. The sound of that 8 string was monstrous. I saw them several times in the 90's and met them all at an In store appearance at Virgin Records in L.A. On some of the ELP recordings Greg's bass should have been more forward in the mix. Although he never really considers himself a bassist, he does a damn fine job and is very underrated. To follow Emerson's compositions isn't easy with all the weird time and key signatures. "Tarkus" is a tough bass part, just one of many.

Slug

15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    elp1974caljam.

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    elp---frame-13a14web.

17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    5-1-220GL20in20blue.

e202-1-420colorbass2077.

s203-6-320Lake20alembic20771.

18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    elp2---frame-20a_4web.

19. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    I wonder about his tone on this song, is the fuzz from the amp or a pedal?

20. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I have the orig vinyl and while playing it, my 8 yr. old really enjoyed "Jerusalem";my favorite tune on the lp. Quite often he requests that I sing Jerusalem to him, while tucking him in bed.