Greg Watts basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I perusing the TBL and ran across a thread about Greg Watt basses. What does anyone know about these? It's kinda cool as he lives about an hour and 1/2 south of Portland. It may be worth a trip down that way to look at some of his work.

Looks like some nice stuff. I wonder if he's still using LP pickups? I really like Lane's soapbars.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I know Marcus Miller has some. Not "that" Marcus Miller, the other one;)

Look like pretty nice instruments. As far as LP's go, unless he has a stash of them, I doubt it.
  3. It is my understanding that after filling his current orders, Gary Watts will be taking a break from building basses. Besides Marc Miller, he's also built a bass for my friend Gene Simons (not THAT Gene Simons)...having seen the bass in person--a narrow-spaced six string, I can vouch for its playability, beauty, and tone. Gary really knows what he's doing, and has a genuine appreciation for the craft of bass building.
  4. paige garwood

paige garwood

May 2, 2000
    Paige sez:
    His name is Gary Watts, and is a friend of mine... his basses are incredible. I have played several of them and they are untouchable, IMO. His prices are verry competitive, and he only makes a handful of basses a year, is not in it for the money, and if you ever get a chance to play one of these babies, just do it.
    As to the Lane Poors, he may have had a few in stock, but as LP has dropped off the planet (last I heard anyway) he has had to change his pickups.... but I don't know which way he went.
  5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I've played Gene's 6 and a couple of others, Marc's I think and Lou's first one. Yeah, man, they are works of art. I only wish Gary could have made it to the Dallas Bassapalooza last April.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR

I stand corrected. At least I got the link correct!:)
  7. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i like them,although ive never played should drive down there,even if you dont like them,you know you dont.and you may like them!
  9. I'm not sure about his step-top method, you'd have to contact Gary about that....

I own Watts #033, which is the blueish bolt-on in the bolt-on picture gallery, the one with the J/MM config., maple neck, custom color. Gary's work is exquisite, he's a stickler for details and the comfort and playability is unmatched!!

Definitely worth waiting for!
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Gary Watts is a great man, and he knows his was with the bass, too!
    Unfortunately for the world, he has closed down. At least for this year, and I join the band that wish that he will be back!! Rather sooner than later.

About pup choice, as LP went down, Gary set out for Bartolini. Unless you want something else, of course. To some extent, Watts are custom made.