Greg Yancey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmanmax, Apr 1, 2003.

1. bassmanmax

Mar 13, 2003
    I was recently turned on to Greg's basses through some guys I am currently playing with in Austin. I've spent a lot of time with him recently and I'm proud to say that his 12th bass will belong to me. I've even played a couple of the basses he hasn't yet sold that are still sitting around his house, and man... they're incredible. Their playability is unmatched by anything I've touched in my "going-on" 10 years as a bassist. I just thought he deserved his own thread, so that anyone who wanders across this can read, comment, and enjoy his work.

2. you, sir, are a lucky man. greg's basses are simply gorgeous. he's a very intelligent, well-spoken guy too.
  3. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    #11 will belong to me once Greg is finished with it. He is a great builder as well as a great player.
  4. bassmanmax

Mar 13, 2003
    I completely agree with you... very nice guy.
    And adam, I got to watch your bass get sprayed a week or so ago... it looks great by the way, the bubinga on the back is absolutely gorgeous. I don't know if you've played Greg's #10 bass or not, but I've played it at length... and it's fantastic. I congratulate you, sir.

5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've seen the mans work; it looks stellar.

he posts in the Luthiers Corner now and then.
  6. :eek:
    A Benavente, a Nordstrand, and a Yancey??!!

I want to have the same job as you!!:D
  7. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX ears are burning. Thanks guys for the compliments. Eventually I hope to get to the point where it can be my full-time gig but, alas, for now building is relegated to weekends and free nights. Oh and Adam I sure hope you bring your Benavente and Nordstrand with you when you pick up your bass so I can try them out!
  8. bassmanmax

Mar 13, 2003
    Greg is stinky like ninja...
    Did I say "stinky", I meant sneaky.
    always popping his head in and ruining our otherwise objective thread. If I wasn't going to see him this afternoon, I'd say really nasty things about him right now...

9. Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Sure thing. The Nordstrand will be done in a few weeks and I just got my Benavente SC5 last week. Any word on when you'll be finished with #11?
  10. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey Greg... so what's going on with that Tesla Coil?
  11. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been trying to sneak in coats on my lunch break this week and after work. I should be done spraying by the weekend but then it has to cure (150 hours for this type of finish) before buffing. I could maybe have it done by the 13th or you could come get it on the 18th and watch Opposite Day play (CD Release show)...
  12. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I, too, can certainly attest to the quality of Greg's basses and to that of his playing and personality! He builds what are to this day the best basses I've ever played! I am aspiring to build basses myself and truly hope that I find myself to be nearly as talented as he is as a player and a luthier!

And by the way Opposite Day RULES!! That was a freaking great show at the Flamingo last weekend!! I can't wait till I move to Austin so I can see you guys regularly!!
  13. Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Yeah man, that sounds great. I'll definitely come down on the 18th.
  14. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Greg's basses are honestly freakin incredible. Ive gone to his shop several times and played them. I ordered one about a month ago. Mine will be a 6 string fretted, walnut body, figured koa top, figured maccassar ebony back, 5 piece ash/wenge neck, brazilian rosewood board, nordstrand dual coils, mike pope pre-amp. His prices are great too. Also the fact that we both live in austin ( and are both named greg heh) gives me an advantage because i can hand pick the tops!
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm listening to "Monroe Doctrine" now... it's kickin' my butt! If I ever get to Austin (as I've been meaning to do for years) I will check 'em out.
  16. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Fuzzbass: I'm glad you like that track even though its a crappy live version. The studio one sounds better. For a glimpse (not that song however) try our Myspace profile:

I've been spending too much time lately working for the man. Computer chips get outdated, basses hopefully not so I might switch to just the basses here in the near future.
  17. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    So many luthiers, so little money. Damn.
  18. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Hey Greg,

Can you tell us what you found when making theses twins?
    Which did you like better, the Aero's or the Bartolini's?
  19. steverosati

Apr 7, 2004
    city of Dis
    #11 has made its way to my house via the low end it now keeps my Elrick Evo. company on the rides to and from gigs
  20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Greg does build very nice basses and every time we have talked his been super nice.