Gregg August

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Feb 3, 2006.

1. You guys heard of a NYC cat named Gregg August ? if not, check out the website his latest record really smokes, (mp3's available on the site) a real mix of afro-cuban rythms w/free elements, dude's a monster player, also doubles as a classical performer, i'm playing in a group with a guitar/pianist friend of his who tells me his main bass costs more then probably my car and house
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Great guy as well as a wonderful player/writer/arranger. We hung and talked politics the other night for an hour or two. :)

Also, he's a French player that switched to German, for those that keep tabs. He said that good French bows are just too damned expensive.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I haven't heard of this specific guy, but I saw the tenor player (Donny McCaslin) with John Geggie and Jim Doxas last winter. Easily one of the best tenorists today that I've ever heard. I'll check out the soundclips tonight, sounds like a great record.
  4. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Yeah, Donny is from the Santa Cruz area where his father, Donny Sr. played vibes. Nice guy. Did some gigs with him in NYC and Albany some years ago. I'm not familiar with this bassist. What is his bass?
  5. Hey Ray, very cool man, although I haven't met him as of yet, he seems like a really cool guy, if all works as planned i'm supposed to pack up the family and head down to NYC to meet up with Gregg and maybe buy a bass off him, he told me he's selling his big monster German bass too, a weeeeee bit outta my price range, especiallly since i'm dealing with Canadian bucks!