Gregory Peck passed away

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Jun 12, 2003.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Legendary Actor Gregory Peck Dies
    Oscar Winner Was 87
    Posted: 1:50 p.m. EDT June 12, 2003
    Updated: 2:01 p.m. EDT June 12, 2003

Legendary actor Gregory Peck has died.

Peck died overnight, his spokesman Monroe Friedman told The Associated Press. He was 87.

The actor, whose "To Kill a Mockingbird" character, Atticus Finch, was just named the top movie hero of all time by the American Film Institute, died Thursday.

In the 1962 classic, Finch was a faultlessly noble widower raising a daughter and son amid Southern racial unrest as he defended a black man accused of raping a white woman.

Peck's career in films dated back to the early 1940s. He was nominated for five Oscars for his film work, and won for "To Kill a Mockingbird."

The lanky, handsome movie star's long career also included such classics as "Roman Holiday" and "Spellbound."

He additionally won an honorary Oscar -- the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award - in 1968.

Please refresh this page for continuous updates to this developing story.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ahoy, capt'n Ahab :(
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Respect to Mr. Peck. Atticus Finch will live forever.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Well they do die in 3's. David Brinkley died last night. RIP to both.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, that sucks. i remember the first time i watched that movie, stayed up over night for the first time - i must've been 12. watched it at my grandparents house with my cousin todd at 5 a.m. after playing monopoly all night. what a beautiful movie.
  6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There is a developing story here? Do ya mean like he's coming back to life tomorrow?
    j/k :D

Actually, even though he got dissed on the 'Boys from Brasil', I kind of liked that movie. He made a good Dr. Mengele, I thought.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D :D
  8. It's a sad loss.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is my favourite book and he personified Atticus Finch perfectly.
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Wow, thats really sucks.

I will always remember him for his role as MacArthur, in MacArthur He was brilliant in that movie. Too Kill A Mockingbird was nothing short of spectacular either.
  10. To Kill a Mockingbird was great, but, I remember him best in The Omen. :eek: Great acting by Gregory. Let's also not forget that Grey Flannel Suit.

RIP, Mr. Peck.

Mike :(