Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grestch Broadkaster Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Anyone here ever played/owned one of these. I just think they are real sexy/classy looking basses. Although IM not sure if I would dish out the 1400 or so for a new one, I'd still ike to own one.

Im sure the sound acoustically is like the Dean version, But what about the plugged in sound? Anyone?

2. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    They're actually pretty cool. I'd wait to see if you could get a new (Fender) Gretsch. Supposedly they have pledged to make the best Grestch guitars ever.

Still is a cool bass, and much better construction than a Dean. Fun to play, vintage vibe and sound; don't expect high tech or Fender style tone. Pretty, too. If I was in a rockabilly or 50's-retro style Sun studios or New York skinny tie guitar pop or a Monkees tribute band I'd get one.

3. OMG, SO much GAS...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. I love my Broadkaster. The sound is unique. It's got some thump from the hollow-body, but it's not a P-bass thump. The sound is 'brown' but not muddy like an Epiphone EB0. It sounds old-skool, perfect for mo-town, afro-beat, boogaloo.
    I've got mine strung with Pyramid flat wounds.

Apparently, the Gretsch bass filtertron pickups are the same one that are used on the guitars, with the pole-pieces removed.