Gretch Baritone string breakage!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tbone409, Jan 22, 2009.

1. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    So here's the story, i have a low end Gretsch baritone, 30" scale tuned EADGbe. i bought it about 6 months ago, and havn't changed the strings yet due to availability and time constraints.

It was strung with fender's own 95-25 string set
    and i was always extremely dissatisfied with the string to string balance, not to mention that after 6 months the tone was muffled and hollow and it went out of tune frequently.

so i went to juststrings dot com to see what i could do. i bought a Ken Smith SS balanced shortscale set 106-44 E-G and then bought a Ken Smith .28 High C for my b string, then i went to singles to shop around and bought a SIT .18 and a GHS .20 on the logic that SIT makes Conklin's high F in .18 and GHS manufactures Ken smith strings

The Problem is this bad boy
    [​IMG]

i didn't even get to tune up before the A string snapped followed by the SIT high e. a quick restring of the high e then 5 seconds later the GHS .20. all the strings are breaking right at the tremolo

now im using this method from bigsby
    faq_stringing.gif

but i need help

any solutions?

different strings? operator error? take it to a tech?

2. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    morning bump

3. Hmmm, I have the same baritone Gretsch for about a year and only encountered a snapped high E ... so my guess is that a tech is the best option.
    Maybe a sharp edge on the tremelo-bar (or whatever it is called :$)

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    you say they're breaking right at the trem. Where at the trem? Is it where it takes the sharp angle?...as noted by the letter A in you diagram?

5. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    yes right at the end where the silk wrapping ends on the ken smith strings, where the solid string turns into a double helix-ish thing. there was a loud pop and then the string just all turned into a mess of jumbled wire right at the end.

on the high e it cleanly snapped off right where the wire becomes a double helix well before it got anywhere near in tune

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021