Gretch White Falcon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beadg5, Nov 21, 2001.

1. beadg5

beadg5 Guest

May 28, 2001
    Baton Rouge, La. USA
    Anyone familiar with the "White Falcons, I believe Gretch made a guitar and a bass. I would like to purchase one of the basses. If anybody is aware of one for sale please email me.
  2. I am familiar with the guitars, but I never heard of a bass. If it exists, I will be very surprised. If anyone has a link, I would love to see it.
    Gretsch did (and does) have some pretty awesome looking hollowbodies. I'm sure they sound good too, but I've never had a chance to play one. They have two they currently produce on their website. Once again let me see those pics--I'm still not convinced of its existence.
  3. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    My luthier is currently restoring the wiring of a vintage White Falcon guitar that someone butchered while trying to rewire it. The idea is to return the wiring to original factory specs. He showed me the restored wiring harness. I can only describe it as elaborate, incomprehensible and very difficult to work on. It offers many combinations of pickup, coils and phase. Never saw anything like it in a vintage instrument. i understand the documentation for the wiring is hard to find, and they had several wiring schemes over the years.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would also be very surprised if they made a White Falcon bass. Their guitars(the originals) are very nice.

I know a preacher who has a '61. Sweet guitar!

5. Ed K is right. Some of the White Falcons had all sorts of switches and gizmos. All Gretsches had wierd switches, but especially the White Falcons. I've seen some custom ones just covered in switches and knobs...maybe that's why they're hollow--so you can fit all those wires in. They certainly are beautiful guitars.
  6. you'd probably have a better chance finding an original White Penguin by Gretsch before you find a White Falcon bass.
  7. embellisher

Those are very rare, aren't they?
  8. Quite... a Gretsch White Penguin (original, although the RI still is VERY valuable, and rare) would probably be the same collectors/players value as a 1950's fender stratocaster, that was a special order.
  9. Brian Young from AC/DC plays the White Falcon guitar...

P.S. Please correct me if I'm wrong, for I'm not an AC/DC Fanatic...
  10. embellisher

Brian Young? You mean the rhythm guitarist, Angus' brother, Malcolm Young, perhaps?
  11. Malcolm Young has a signature Gretsch. It's a solid body.
  12. Oops...sorry my bad...but I could swear I read somewhere that he used a White Falcon...maybe that was Jaymz Hetfield...I dunno. It's the bassists that matter!
  13. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    John Frusciante (RHCP) plays a White Falcon sometimes.