1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gretsch Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by your idol, Oct 18, 2009.

1. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Where are they? i see a TON of almost every bass imagineable on here except for Gretsch.

all i really know about them is their guitar side of things and i know that the quality and playability of them are great and usually come pretty close to doing their higher price tag justice.

so what is it that keeps them out of the limelight on the bass side?

Broadkasters and White Falcons look amazing. those who own or have owned Gretsch basses are encouraged to weigh in and PLEASE SHOW OFF!

2. I've been GASin for a Gretsch but I've never actually seen one haha. I'd really like to try one out

3. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Eric google a White Falcon bass its unbelievable

4. I know all the models. I meant I've never seen one in person.

5. And yes it really is great looking!

6. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    jack_02.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...I've seen so few Gretsches in my life I sometimes wonder what the deal is. The White Falcon looks like such an amazing bass, yet I've never seen one in person...in fact, aside from the Billy-Bo I saw once several years ago, I've never even known of a shop in Chicago to have one!

CT Birdsong has or had one. IIRC he's posted happy thoughts about it.

8. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    look nice... but they're all long scale :(

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hardly!

The White Falcon is 34"
    The Thunder Jet is 30.3"
    The Electrotone is 30.3"
    The Billy Bo is 30.3"
    The Broadkaster is 30.3"

If my math is correct, out of the 5 bass models Gretsch has to offer, only 1 is long scale.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Oh man, a White Falcon, with the custom bass bigsby option, do want........ so much!

11. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
  12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    DC_Olson.

:bawl:

13. I think their problem is a little bit of confusion when it comes to marketing. Electromatics are pretty bad imo and that's the only one I've seen or played.

14. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Well, I have a now discontinued G 6072 and it's a "Keeper"! It has a 34" scale and sounds HUGE! It's a big bass for big boys. It works swimmingly with my G-B Shuttle 6.0. There is something very special about that combination. I'd recommend one of these to anyone. The Gretsch is on the left.

HollowbodyBasses011.

15. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Love my Thunder Jet with TI flatwounds on it !

16. Prime BASS

Prime BASS

Oct 15, 2009
    i think that white falcon would look the bee's knee's with black hardware.

I think gold hardware just looks ghastly.

I've been looking for a decent hollow body bass as well.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Gretsch2202full.

I can't speak to the rest of the Electromatics, but I have the 2202 Electromatic Jr. Jet - their price leader - and it's an amazingly good bass. Great action, good balance, and the pickup is very hot and located in the perfect spot. It makes my other short scale basses gather dust.

The guitarist in our band has an Electromatic and it's an excellent guitar.

I think blanket condemnation of Gretsch Electromatics is unwarranted.

18. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    The White Falcon is the most beautiful bass on the planet, IMO. Almost too gorgeous to gig out. With the 34" scale, how does it balance? And is that Bixby stock?

I've got a Broadkaster, which is aesthetically another beautiful bass. Some appointments are kind of crappy, however, particularly the floating bridge, which is thin flimsy ebony and has already cracked on mine.

I think Gretsch hollowbody basses make a nice alternative to Hofners but can also offer a bit more top end clarity, IMO. Mine's strung with rounds, but I'm thinking about switching to flats.

19. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Optional, but yeah, stock.

20. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Nice! I'm dying to get my hands on one of those.