1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gretsch Basses.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonicfrog, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Do you guys like them? There is a chance i might be getting one in the near future!

I don't have one yet, but check out the message my older bro's ex-wife sent me yesterday on Facebook!

My brother, thanks to my help (explained below), now lives in Washington, north of Seattle. Here was my reply!

I was kidding of course.. Well Sort of!

He does owe me big-time for the time spent helping him. OK. He really doesn't. he's my Bro, and I'm glad to have been able to help... But still, this would be some good compensation! :bassist:

PS. Yes, I did send a message to him asking if he'd be willing to at least loan it to me since he's obviously not using it!

2. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm a big fan!

They have a few different models, but if it's free, or you're rescuing it from your brother's ex, then you really can't go wrong.

Getit!:bassist:

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Well, like most things in Life, the answer is; "It depends". Which model is it? How old is it? With Gretsches, the answers are important.

I'm guessing it's a modern, Fender-era bass (post 2002); if so, the solid body models range from adequate to pretty d***n nice, considering the price. The Electromatics are a step up from there; the hollow-body Electros a step up from that. The Broadkaster is the next level up, supposedly, and the White Falcon is... well, a White Falcon.

So, the answer is OK to wonderful -depending. In my case, I have a post-Baldwin, pre-Fender Broadkaster ('94), and while it is a beautiful, well made instrument, the pickups sorta suck, and the pots and tuners are inexpensive Japanese stuff. That era is known for weak ceramic pickups, and mine certainly are. Fender-era Gretsches don't have those problems.

I haven't replaced anything on mine because it's a lefty, and they're very, very scarce; also because I'm planning to sell it since I can't play it any longer. Due to an accident, I can't get my arm around the body, and a Broadkaster is a big bodied bass.

4. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be on that like stink on a monkey. Gretsch is good stuff. I love their guitars especially but the basses are nice.

5. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Id like to see a full-scale ThunderJet offered in orange/clear finish. Sorta like a Brian Setzer signature Nashville, but a bass equivalent. *dreaming*

6. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Yes. take it. You won't be disappointed.

7. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    The newer Gretsches are darned nice. A big improvement in the past couple of years.

8. mtsens1

mtsens1 Merle Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Kennesaw, Georgia
  9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Have a trans-orange Broadkaster & a black (is there any other color?) Thunderjet. Both are simply killer :hyper: .