Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gretsch broadkaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacove, Oct 26, 2003.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi there,

anyone out there who ownes or have tried one of these...I would love to hear a little about tone, playbility and weight...

2. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    anyone???

3. mrtreacle

mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have one, and I love it. Light as a feather, great deep sound, one of my favorites. The short scale neck is a breeze to play too.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    thanks for the reply!

How would you describe the neck profile? (thin, chunky, slim, wide etc....)

5. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do you pronounce Gretsch??? Gret-ch ... Greesh??? My guitar player thinks its the second way while i think its the first one.

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've only heard people pronounce it Gret-ch...

7. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I saw Paul Denman of Sade use it on a couple of tracks off a concert I saw on dvd.

Couldn't really tell it was a Gretch or hollowbody for that matter anyway.

Steve

8. hmm...this is interesting.

pics anyone?

9. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    bump
    I would really like to find out more about these basses :)

10. And it's pronounced Gre-tch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. I just got mine today. Really like it! More later.

12. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    bump bump.

13. Okay, here goes. My impressions of it are still ongoing so I'll add more to this thread as I get more acquainted with the bass.

So I bought this bass used from eBay last week--it's the orange (does Gretsch even make another colour?). I had a Lakland Hollowbody Deluxe awhile back and I was missing the hollowbody vibe and sound, so I went for this one. The Lakie was 34" scale and this Gretsch is around 30.5", but the late great Allen Woody proved that even huge guys could play short scale basses and get a huge tone.

My first impression was that this is one of the nicest looking basses I've seen. It has binding all over (including in the f-holes), and of course the trademark orange finish. The construction and finish looked to be very well-done. I think these are made in Japan, no? As I mentioned, I bought this bass used, and the strap button on the upper "horn" had been stripped, so the owner had installed one at the joint. I'll post pictures here later. Other than that, it was in perfect condition.

In terms of playability, it's very good. Getting used to short scale isn't much of a problem for me, and there's a lot more reach available on this type of instrument. However, the string spacing for the right hand is pretty tight. I can manage with fingerstyle, but it's not as comfortable on some of my other basses. Of course, if you play with a pick, then the tight string spacing shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Sound--the bass has two pickups with volume control for each, a three-way selector switch, and a master tone. There's a master volume located at a different spot on the bass. At first I thought that was kinda weird, but I can see where it might be useful. So far, I've only tried it out through my Ashdown practice combo amp, but it's really cool. The bridge pickup has good clarity, but it sort of has a "squishiness" that I associate with something like Paul McCartney's Hofner. The neck pickup gets pretty deep, as you would probably expect, although it doesn't approach the mud of something like a Gibson EB.

Whoops, gotta get going. More later.

14. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Excellent post, funkycarnivore!!! Really looking forward hearing more about your new bass, thanks...;)

15. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    How much do these run, i havn't really found much on them. Also, can they be compared to this Epiphone Cassidy i've heard so much about...there is something so appealing about hollowbodies. i want one so bad!:(

16. I have never played one of those but have always dug the looks. I really like the gretsch guitars and that whole rockabily vibe.

17. Here's a picture of mine. I got it for $695 from eBay.

18. http://www.bananas.com/bananas/jsp/pp0.jsp?path=4&wp=699

Gretsch G6119B Broadkaster Bass
    $1,895.95

[​IMG]
    Treena

19. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Hmm, that's a lot of money. I think i would prefer the ebay price :) But that is always hard to swing...:(

20. i have a gresch g5123b and thinking abkut getting a broadkaster someday.