Gretsch Electrotone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Apr 19, 2005.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Revered name in hollow giutars makers Gretsch unveiled the Electrotone Bass.

Since i am a BIG hollow body bass addict (after the P bass i think that hollow basses have the best tone out there...) i would love to know if someone here on the board have seen or tried this wonderful looking bass.

thank you.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    A dude at the house of blues was playing one outside through an ampeg combo. It sounded *very* good, though I didn't get to hear much of it. Sorry I'm not much help :p.

3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    looks a bit like the epiphone allen woody signature hollow body--which I own and really like!
  4. Aww man, I love Electrotones. My search for a used one has been going on for a while. I've played a couple through a Fender Combo. Both sounded great. You can get the sound that you would expect from a hollow body with some controls. With other settings I could get a real nice mellow, warm tone with. I highly recommend them if you can find one.
  5. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Tonally, how does this differ from a Broadkaster ?(I have a Broadkaster & love it ) . I can see it has no actual f-holes & "thundertron" as a opposed to a "filtertron" pickups.

Additionally, I see this company "TV Jones"makes replacement pickups for Gretsch guitars & basses, which they seem to claim are more vintage sounding than modern Gretsch pickups. IOW, I could replace the pickups in my Broadkaster with the TV Jones Thundertrons. What difference would that make, if any ?
  6. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    iv wanted one ever since i saw Tim Skold of Marilyn Manson play one...

i love them so much not only are they awesome sounding but visually it has so much attitude!!
  7. I know this thread has been dead for 3.5 years, but does anyone have this bass? Or has anyone had it, or tried it?
  8. Yggdrasil, TV Jones makes pickups that are like the old-school Gretsch pickups. Gretsch uses them in their more expensive instruments. They make great replacements for the Gretsch's Electrosonic budget line of instruments. I purchased a pair for my semihollow Epiphone Les Paul and now it sounds like a Gretsch. I can't say enough nice things about TV Jones....
  9. Oh wow I just replied to an ancient post then! Haha