1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gretsch G 6072

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by main_sale, Apr 23, 2006.

1. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm intrigued by this HUGE bass. It looks like it has great tone potential. Does anyone have any experience with it that they could share with me?

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    They are cool as all hell and I've always wanted one, but they are super expensive whenever I've seen them for sale. GIANT neck- it's a whole different bass playing experience that makes you play in a different way. They record really well and have their own tone.

3. I don't see a picture to be sure of the one you are referring to but if you are referring to the Double cutaway Gretsch bass from the early sixties with a single PU, mute and endpin I have one. It hangs on the wall. It is beautiful. Trying to play it is like playing a log. I play upright and fretless and have a collection of basses and the Gretsch is the most uncomfortable bass in the collection which might explain why no one used them for any extended period. (There is a pic of Entwistle of the Who using one but it wasn't for long).

4. PS. Want a bass with incredible tone potential? Forget the Gretsch which doesn't sound all that great and think about a Rob Allen Deep Four.

5. Here is a pic

Attached Files:

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    That's close, but not it. The 6072 has two pickups and bound real F-holes.

7. What year was it made?

8. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm looking at a new production one.