Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gretsch G2232 Electromatic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kumori, Aug 19, 2002.

1. kumori

kumori

Nov 22, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hi all,

I was at my local guitar shop, and they had a Gretsch Electromatic Bass, the G2232. Has anyone else seen this? It listed for about $480, while the short scale G2202 was $240 or so.

Anyways, I liked the feel of it, and it looked just like the short scale bass (only it was not short scale), and it had two pickups and a three-way pickup toggle switch. I always thought the short scale Gretsch had a cool look, but wished it came long scale as well, and now it appears it finally is. But... I cannot find any info online about it, even at the Gretsch site.

I guess it's back to the store to play some more!

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

3. kumori

kumori

Nov 22, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The body looks like that. The neck is full scale, and says Electromatic, tho.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm not sure what's going on with their model #'s, but I had one of these (in the pic) for a little while. It was a long-scale neck (34"), basically with the same dimensions as a P-bass.

It's not a bad little bass. The bridge p'up tone is a little thin, but I thought the other p'up positions didn't sound bad at all. BAD balancing problems on a strap, but that's to be expected with no upper horn. I used to do the 1 strap-button trick with it where you attach both ends of your strap to just the upper strap-button. Made it bearable anyway.

It's light, has a nice variety of 'poinky' tones, and has a cool Gretsch vibe. Ah, and it's cheap!

I don't think they're in production anymore, and that price seems a little high. They pop up on ebay now and then for substantially less.
    Still, if you like it and you have the money, it's a cool little bass! See if you can talk them down some...