1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gretsch G5265 vs Dano 63 (another baritone geetar thread)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zipflint, Sep 13, 2008.

1. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    Sorry gang, I know this has probably been covered a lot, but 30 minutes of searching didn't exactly resolve my questions. I'm not concerned about the whole baritone vs. bass guitar angle. I really just want to know if there's a significant quality difference between these two instruments.

I have a pretty good idea of what the Gretsch sounds like, and I believe that's the general tone I'm after. I have no idea what the Danelectro sounds like, aside from the clips on their site. It seems to be a bit more twangy, which isn't a bad thing but not exactly what I'm after.

As for cosmetics, I don't really care. Both look good to me, the Dano having the retro-cool factor and the Gretsch just looking fairly aggressive. I won't be able to try out either before buying, unless the GC in Knoxville has either in stock when I'm there in December.

thanks for the input, sorry for rambling.....
    ::edit::
    I meant to add, I've got a decent Harmony guitar that I don't use much.
    Could I achieve a similar baritone effect by just slapping the largest strings I can fit
    on there?

2. Baritone guitars have a longer scale then regular guitars. If you put bari strings on your standard guitar the tension would be weird and possibly unplayable... or at least sound, err, floppy(?).

I don't know anything about the models you're looking at, though I know everyone seems to like the new Dano's as far as quality to price goes. You might want to look at Eastwood guitar's baritones. They have a cool set neck mostrite/univox copy for $400 that I've considered myself (baritones are near the bottom in the left frame)...

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/

3. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    I owned the gretsch for a while and I wish that I still had it. It looked, sounded, and felt great. The bigsby tailpiece is just cool (it stayed in tune pretty well).

4. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    Wow. I definitely like the looks of those! And the little demo that Brian Greenway does sounds pretty awesome too.
    I'm definitely going to look into these.

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's my Gretsch 6-string bass(its not a baritone), modded for lefty playing.
    gretschbassVInew.