Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gretsch info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZombieGhosTrain, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Hey about 4 years ago (2002 ish) I bought a Gretsch Electromatic. I've been really impressed with it, and it has not given me any problems in all of these years even though I play it alot. I was wondering if anyone has any info on these, as I don't know what kind of pickups/neck/fretboard wood it has or anything. It is not a hollowbody, but has the same single cutaway body.
    Thanks

2. Gretch builds nice stuff. i don't have a listing for an Electromatic bass. is there a model number? :cool:

3. No, can't find a serial number anywhere. It looks quite similiar to the Electromatic Gretsch guitars. I was just wondering so if I decide to buy another bass I can compare it to this one easier, or look for a bass with similiar neck type, etc.

4. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Pics would be helpful, even if only for figuring out what woods are in it.

5. Here are some pics, sorry about the quality but I had no other camera or options, thanks.

Ok here we go:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The entire back of the neck is the same wood as the back of the headstock. There is a pic of the bridge/pups there too if anyone can ID them. Thanks

6. I Think the Electromatics were made in Korea. They are no longer beng produced, but are sold new on ebay.

I bought one, hoping for a cheap and tough Broadkaster soundalike. I even dropped a Broadkaster pickup in. It was better made than the really cheap Epiphone ebo's (solid wood body, the Epiphone is plywood), but didn't sound as good to my ear.

Oh yeah, the hardcase weighs a TON.

7. Well the sound suits me perfectly, and I was told by a luthier that it was probably made in korea, so I think you are right. Any other ideas guys?

8. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    I don't think that Gretsch produced it for that long. I think it was called the Jet Bass. It is similar to a DJ shape, but has a slab body, bolt on neck, made in Korea with generic humbucking pup's with metal covers.

I played one a couple of times. I thought it was nice. Definitely a good bass for the money. You might be able to find out more over at www.gretschpages.com. As they are in tune to all that is Gretsch.

Gretsch's new electromatic are even nicer now. Too bad they don't make an electromatic bass.

[​IMG]

9. I have seen a few 3/4 scale versions, and that is called the Jet I think, because the neck is painted black, whilst mine is natural wood tone. I was just curious as to the wood mine is made of, I can't tell by looking at it yet.