1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gretsch junior jet bass 2202 / nylon flat wound strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazz754, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Jazz754

Jazz754

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm thinking about picking up a Gretsch junior jet 2202. It would be my first bass. I'm normally a guitar player, and have small hands.
    Is it possible to put a set of nylon wound flats on it? Thoughts? Also, any thoughts on the bass would be appreciated as well.

2. dubhnight

dubhnight

Jul 26, 2012
    It's certainly possible, just as long as you get a set that fit a short scale bass. Long scale just wont work. I use a set of normal flats on mine and it sounds awesome, but I'm sure nylons would sound awesome too. They tend to give a really deep fat sound, especially on a short scale with a humbucker like the one on this bass. In terms of the bass itself, I found it fantastic. I also play guitar too, and I find it very easy to play, although I also play a full scale Pbass with no problem at all. It's just a matter of getting used to it. The bass though is fantastic, It looks great and sounds awesome, built and plays well, you can't really go wrong with it considering the price.

3. ih8law

ih8law

Aug 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Short answer: Yes.

I put nylon tapewound strings on my Gretsch G2220 and it sounds great! Go forth, young man, and string up your bass with some right now.

G2220NylonStrings.

Edit: Here's an audio sample: http://youtu.be/9boHZpSF5HQ