1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gretsch Junior Jet II owners: recommended strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedHotFuzz, Mar 29, 2014.

1. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    My foray into learning the bass begins as soon as Sweetwater gets some Junior Jets in stock in a week or two. I will order it set up with a new set of strings as reviews indicate the stock strings are fairly horrible.

I'm sure many of you have experimented with a good variety of strings for this instrument. Which did you finally end up with as your favorites?

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to start playing down low! :bassist:

2. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I have La Bella white tapes on mine.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I believe someone said that short-scale Chromes (flatwound) fit these Electromatic short-scales perfectly.

Finding a set of decent strings that properly fit any particular bass is something of a miracle in itself.

Most cheaper instruments come with really frightful, coarse stainless-steel generic roundwounds that not only are a pain to play, but grind through the frets like a plasma cutter.

4. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    AZ
    Well, I know this is an older thread, but I just thought I would pop in here and provide my $.02

I just put DR Black Beauties on mine and I LOVE the feel and the sound. Made an easy-to-play bass even EASIER. Like buttah!

Even better, I was able to order the SHORTSCALE version of these strings from DR K3 BLACK BEAUTIES Black Coated Bass Strings - Short Scale 4-String Set

It seems the shortscale crowd is finally getting some options!