Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GREY CUP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Masamax, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Anyone here gonna watch the grey cup? GO ESKIMOS!

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Naaww....too many NFL games on. The CFL is nice though for those that can't catch some pro football, or good college games.

-Mike

3. CFL is better in everyway than the NFL. Longer field, fewer downs, and more exciting games. NCAA and NFL are so blah these days.

4. Let's go Alouettes! We want a repeat!

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Masamax....Since you are Canadian, I understand your admiration of your CFL. The fact that the field is longer, and you only get three tries for a first does make your game exciting.

However, the talent pool the CFL has to pick from is made up of players who could never make it in the NFL, and would have a hard time even starting on some of the top 25 college football teams. I realize Warren Moon is an exception to this, and maybe one or two other guys along the way. I also realize there are a few recognizable names from USA colleges playing in your CFL now. CFL is exciting football for sure, but when I have to choose between NFL and CFL, the superior talent in the NFL wins every time for me.

-Mike

6. True, but a lot of CFL players don't cease to amaze me. Anthony Calvillo threw a few perfect passes today and Ben Cahoon made an amazing one handed grab on a bomb early on. Mike Pringle's a hell of a runner, so why isn't he in the NFL (besides his age :D)? A lot of these players aren't in the NFL because they are too small, so it's not so much of a lack of talent. Look at Doug Flutie, it took him a while to prove his stuff, and he finally made it 10 years late.

I love the NFL too, but the CFL is more exciting to watch a lot of the time, in my opinion.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I also remember a running back in the CFL, I think his name is Clemons. Nickname is Pinball, does that sound familiar to any of you CFL guys? He is really good. How about the QB McManus. I saw him play a few times.

Mike Pringle is not in the NFL because he just isn't that good. He had a chance with a couple NFL teams, and the World League. He was/is a decent player. The CFL is perfect for guys like him.

-Mike

8. Ahh, Montreal lost. Ah well.

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    YEAH GO ESKS! No repeat for the Quebecers, so it's all good.

But I didn't actually watch the game... I was watching Joe Schmo Show instead :bag: And plus I had my MINOR HOCKEY REFERREEING DEBUT!:D

But Edmonton won, so I'm happy.:cool:

10. Players in the NFL might be more skilled, but a lot of the NFL players got their start in the CFL. One of the reasons we don't have that many hugely talented players is because a CFL player's salary is tiny compared to NFL.

It's still a much better game IMO. I could fall asleep watching NFL games.

11. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    What ever happened to Gizmo? He rocked.

Good game today, the Eskimo's rip.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, if I lived in Canada and had some long term exposure to the CFL, I am sure I would eventually prefer it as well. You guys got your CFL, and you love it. That is great.

Fall asleep watching NFL games? Oh come one now.

The guys playing in the CFL right now are the ones who aren't good enough to make it to the pro's, the NFL.

-Mike

13. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I would also consider the CFL to be pro... but anyways...

It is ignorant to assume that "The guys playing in the CFL right now are the ones who aren't good enough to make it to the pro's, the NFL."

That isn't necessarily true.

I'd imagine that most CFL-ers would go to the NFL if they could, but maybe some of them like doing what they are doing, where they are doing it.

More money in the NFL therefor more talent, and hype... more drug use too.

The CFL doesn't get nearly as much exposure in the USA as the NFL does in Canada.

Who cares anyways... Hockey is a Canadian sport and that's all that matters really.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    CFL is pro football, the guys get paid. I agree.

I wouldn't go so far as to call my comment "ignorant", but hey, do what you want.

OK, let me put it this way. Any guy in the CFL good enough to play in the NFL would be. With the exception of the occasional highly talented guy playing in the CFL because he likes it there.

I am not understanding the connection to drug use. Are you saying that the more talented, higher paid NFL players use drugs more than their lower paid, less talented CFL counterparts? More drug use in the NFL may have something to do with the fact that there are more players? Eight CFL teams, and 32 NFL teams.

Yeah....you guys got your hockey. I like that sport alot. However NHL teams in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Arizona, and Texas just isn't right.

-Mike