Grey Stache or Pickle Pie?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Grey Stache

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Pickle Pie

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Two fuzzes that I haven't tried yet. Which do you prefer and why?

2. Grey stache, so awesome

rratajski and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  3. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    what sounds are you after? I've owned both

4. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I would be looking for a different flavor fuzz from the TAFM that I have, something that cuts through in a band format. Kind of tough to answer @sk8 because from what I've read, both of these pedals do that. I wouldn't need it to double as a dirty overdrive or anything like that. I'm looking for something that can just be fuzz if that makes sense.

5. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I had them at different times but the pickle pie was smoother and more polite where as the Grey Stache was more GRRRRRRRR! In my opinion of course. From what you say I'd probably go Stache as it wasn't as Muff as the Box of War, Tri Pie or Pickle I had. there was something more about it

rratajski and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  6. You want more cut/different cut than a TAFM? I say grab a Superfuzz/Brassmaster type of fuzz then, stay away from muffs. Do something like a ss/bs Buzzz, a Wounded Paw Attack Goat, a Broughton Sunder, a Malekko Diabolik...stuff like that.

vivaknoxvegas and bass08053 like this.
  7. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Not wanting to replace the TAFM @blindrabbit , just want to add a fuzz and these two are pedals that I've wanted to try for a while and haven't. I know, just get both right?

rjovin and blindrabbit like this.
  8. Of course! I definitely wasn't suggesting getting rid of the TAFM, heaven forbid!

I have a TAFM, and an Attack Goat, and they run as my top two fuzzes right now. Both fill different spots and serve different purposes. I couldn't be without either.

Here's an off the wall idea you could consider if you don't want two pedals...do you use the gate switch a lot on the TAFM? If not, I know a while back Brian developed a simple mod for the TAFM where it changed the gate switch to being an octave up type of effect. Not quite as pronounced as a Superfuzz, but it certainly adds a different character to the fuzz that may give you what you are looking for. Check on YouTube for a clip of it, hopefully it is still up.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Cool, will do. That would be a nice mod.

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. Here it is, the video:

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022