Greyhound and Gear

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FreeSpirit, Mar 1, 2006.

1. SO I got a gig to sub for this guy next thursday. The show is 6 hours norht from where I am, and since I am unable to drive there, I am getting a ride there with the drummer, and on the way back they suggested i would get a ride half way then take a greyhound bus the rest of the way. I agreed to taking the bus, because it is inexpensive, and i don't want them to drive 6 hours to drop me off then 6 back to play the remaining gigs( 3 nights at a bar, i play thursday as first night.)

My question is has anyone ever taken their equiptment on a greyhound? I am not talking about bringing a cab, a head and basses, just two basses both in hardshell cases, and a back pack. I am just trying to figure out if I have to pay anything extra for the basses and such.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It's been a long time since I took a bus, but I used to travel in the US frequently with a bass, an amp, plus ski gear and some other stuff with no charge. Here's a direct link to the current Canadian baggage policies:
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What's this gig pay, anyway? Is it really worth it, six hours away, bus rides, gear shipping hassles? It sure better be a lot of dough.
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I recently took my whole rig (4x10 cab, amp, 2 basses, cables, fx...) from So. FL to So. OH.

They let you take all that stuff, but they do charge you. It's cheaper than UPS or FedEx, but it still can get pricy. Not to mention anything like that that you try to bus has to be boxed and/or bubble wrapped and they ARE not responsible for it. So you you have to keep an eye on it like a hawk.

Good luck.
  5. I am not going to say how much I am getting for it. But truthfully as long as the money covers the bus ride, food and such while I am there, is all I care about.

I am 19 years old, and work a crap job. I don't play out often, but this si starting to change. So for now for me it is fine that it just covers that. I wish I was playing enough to make money from it, but I am still young and as I said before, as long as it covers the costs for the day and return I am a happy man.