Greyhounds are kinda like potato chips...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Nov 28, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... you just want more and more of them.

We decided to start looking for a lively young male to add to the pack after Saber's untimely death two weeks ago. Today, we took a drive up to the track in Kenosha to see who was up for adoption, and were amazed to find the perfect hound right away - a medium sized three year old cow boy named GA Starkwest, or Wes for short.

He's a real cutie, and has much the same personality as Saber did. We think he'll make a fine playmate for Lisa.

He was a returned dog. He was first adopted to a couple with two little girls, and when they returned him two months later (ten days ago), he had lost 15 pounds and was ten pounds under his *racing* weight. I'd love to get my hands on them.

Next weekend, we'll rent a van and drive up the whole pack to sniff butts. If all goes well and everybody gets along, we'll probably bring him home then.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You know, ever since you mentioned Saber's death a few weeks ago, I've been interested in greyhound adoption. I love dogs. Being 16 makes it difficult, but this is something I would look into after college.

How much does it cost to adopt one?
    Do they eat a lot?
    How big are their crap piles? :eek:
    Explain some more about them and the program. :)
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Eric, rather than try to reinvent the wheel, I'm going to refer you to Midwest Greyhound Adoption's page for info. MGA is just one of many adoption groups; we adopt right from the track, since we're experienced Greyhound owners that don't need a dog that's been fostered.

I can tell you that Greys make absolutely wonderful pets, and that I seriously doubt we'll ever be without at least one or two of them!

They eat about the same as other dogs their size - Wes will be about 70 pounds in pet condition. Logs are typical, and are more affected by what you feed than anything else.
  5. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Congrats! We have a Whippet now (for those who don't know, a whippet is like a small greyhound) and have thought about getting a retired racer, but we would have to board her when we go out of town, the whippet fits better in the car. They are all loving dogs who are clean, quiet, and sweet. After owning a Whippet and an italian Greyhound, I won't own anything other than a sighthound.