1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grill for fEARful cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by backin82, Oct 16, 2013.

1. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm planning a build of a fEARful 1212/6 cabinet, but haven't been able to find the grills for these things. Someone help me out!

Do they not sell them at speakerhardware?

2. Parts express has what you need.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have one you can have for the cost of shipping but it will require a slight cut to fit. I ordered one they cut a 1/2" wider than I needed. Assuming you build your box to spec it should fit, but shipping to America might actually be more expensive than ordering a brand new one from an American supplier as the box is about 2'x3' and weighs at least 10 pounds.

Just shoot me a PM if you are interested.

4. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Very cool, thanks!

Which fEARful do you have?

Edit: This post was directed to CL400Peavey.

I'll bet shipping would take up most of the cost of a new one, Diabolus!

5. I have a 1515/66/1, two 12/6/1's, and a greenboy DuallyT.

Custom greenboy Audio grill. on my DuallyT. Expanded steel on my fEARless cabs (I am a sucker for the diamond pattern expanded steel since it looks like Peavey grills).

6. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Is the 1515/66 worth the extra cost over the 1212/6? Having never played either of them, its tough to compare and know if the 1515/66 is overkill for what I need.

I compete with a pretty loud rock drummer and two guitars who play fairly loud.

Best I can tell, DIY'ing a 1515/66 comes in around or over $1k. The 1212/6 can be done for around $700-800.

7. If I was going the DIY route, I would start with a 15/6. I would contact Speakerhardware or one of the AB's and have them build me a switchable cross over:

Standard padding for a solo 15/6
    No padding for use with a 15sub
    extra padding -3db for a more "traditional" tonal feel.

See how you like the 15/6 on its own, and if it is enough volume. Should it be lacking (which I doubt) adding a 15sub is a sure bet.

Per the cost difference, it is really just going to be the difference in the extra mid driver, as the 12 and 15 inch woofers cost the same.

8. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Build a 66 and rule the world!! I have one and a 15/6/1 and yeah if you need a stand alone cab that can power a big venue without pa support and compete with a loud drummer and spotlight happy guitar players then yes the 66 is that one cab that will do it. Remember you can always turn down, that's why they make volume knobs on amps. ;-) ~ Elliot

9. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Interesting. I was kinda hoping for a single cab that was a little bit tall and slender so it was easier to carry, closer to ear level, and was a single input from my head unit. At some point, it becomes preference I'm sure.

10. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    if you can't swing a 66 at this time the the 15/6/1 is the best bang for your $!!! I had both mine built at the same time sight on heard abs couldn't be happier with both of them! They truly lived up to what I was expecting and more...... Ebs when it comes to playing a 5 string bass...... Can't make them cabs Fart for nothing!!

11. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Is the tweeter and/or horn optional? I'm not a fan of anything over about 1-2k.

12. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Oh yes it is optional. I just added it to mine. I almost never use it but every once and a while I like a lil sizzle on the top end. I am one who like to have something I never use much just in case there is a time I want it...... Hard to add it if you don't have it ;-)

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The 1212/6 would easily hang with my old 610 in terms of volume. It has no problem keeping up with insanely loud drummer, the guitarists can turn down if needed. Do not buy into the hype, I can make my 1212/6 fart with ease especially if I throw in a B string. Now keep in mind I am throwing 800 watts into it but I have definitely hit the top of my fEARful. It can take about as much, maybe slightly more juice, than my old 410 but it is louder.

My advice OP is to not use the CBG crossover, use a different one. I plan to swap mine out as it is extremely bright on the top end and that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

14. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    What is a CBG (crossover by greenboy???) crossover? I don't like a lot of highs, but I can always roll them back via the amp or external EQ (including just taking it out on my bass). I usually run my Stingray at: High - 50%, Mid - 50-100%, Low - 100%. That usually takes care of it.

My current setup is a Hartke VX410 powered by a Hartke 3500 head. I love the sound, but just would like some more power/volume for outdoor gigs and larger venues. I don't need much, and I THINK my main issue is just the lower quality drivers in the Hartke cab. I'm basically using it as a stage monitor as most larger gigs will be PA supported. The 1212/6 is an intriguing option for me. All-in-one cab, tall and slender, light-ish weight, and slightly more volume than my current setup.

I'll actually power it with my 3500 for a while until I can afford something better.

15. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    CBG = Cheap But Good.
    Greenie designed it to have a low parts count, be simple for anyone to build, and with easily available parts.
    There are now also true 3-way designs available for most of the fEARful cabinets. Not necessary without a tweeter, though.

16. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Do you have one and did you build it yourself of have it pre-made?

17. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I have two 12/6s and built them, including the crossovers, myself.
    I built the first one before Speaker Hardware was invloved with fEARfuls, so I sourced the coils and caps for the crossover elsewhere. All the hardware and drivers came from Speaker Hardware.
    I got everything for the second one from Speaker Hardware.

18. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Just checked the Parts Express grills and most were between 10 - 12 lbs. The specs for the 12/6 says finished cabs are between 36-38 lbs. Is that including the grill? The round metal grills are much lighter (and cheaper) but the full grill looks much better IMO.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars