1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grill on the amp is vibrating, solution?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emo panda, Jan 7, 2012.

1. emo panda

emo panda

Jun 2, 2011
    Hello everybody :)

I just bought old laney PL100 Bass combo and realized that when i play at a bit louder (still not even a half of it's power) the grill on the combo start vibrating...it's very annoying and i want to fix this...

Please help me find a solution...i already try to tighten the screws more but this didn't fix the problem.. it's still vibrating..

:help::help:

I hope you understand me, because my english is not so good...

thanks guys!

2. More screws. Be sure they're going into solid wood.

3. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Some rubber stand-offs might help, but you'll have to find something rubbery that is the right thickness. Look for some chair leg covers or other such thing and then re-mount the grill with them between the grill and the baffle.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Put a strip of thin weatherstripping or slice up an old bicycle innertube and line the standoff where the grill mounts and move all the screws over so you're screwing down into fresh wood. Add more rubber standoffs where you can out in the middle of the grill. Rubber plugs you get at Home Depot work well for that. Drill a hole through the middle and screw through them.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just an FYI, there's no way you can know your amp is "not even half it's power". The position of the knobs are irrelevant. Too many other variables, including the input signal and eq to determine how much power you're using. Some amps reach "full power" at less than halfway on the dial.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

7. emo panda

emo panda

Jun 2, 2011
    i add some rubber between wood, screw and grill..still vibrating...the point is that i don't know exactly where the grill is vibrating because the whole grill is vibrating so i don't know where and what to do to stop it..

8. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Have you tried removing the grill completely - it might be something else? If there's no rattle without the grill just be diligent using plenty of screws and rubber/plastic spacers. Try getting a friend to pluck some notes while you see if you can dampen the rattle by hand - this should show you exactly where you need to fix tightly.

9. emo panda

emo panda

Jun 2, 2011
    Yes, i remove grill and then i can play without vibrations... If i hold the grill with one hand in the middle of it and play a open B string there is no vibrations...i will try to fix it with rubber spacers, but i have bad feeling that even tat won't help...but i'll try

10. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Make sure the speaker is tightened down too

11. popgadget

popgadget Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Cut a piece of 6mm ID rubber hose, like is used for fuel line to fit between the grill and the baffle. Make it just a little bit long so it will compress to the right size. Install it with a long screw though the grill and the hose into the baffle. Choose the location by pressing on the grill whil playing to see where you can stop the rattle. You might need more than one.

12. emo panda

emo panda

Jun 2, 2011
    Problem solved, thank you guys! :)