Grill Rattling/Vibrating Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NDbassist, Apr 17, 2005.

1. NDbassist

Apr 17, 2005
    I have a Fender bassman 4x10 cab and the matching Bassman 400 head, and the cage of the 4x10 cab keeps rattling whenever i hit a low not, it produces a pretty obnoxious sound.... any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! (i checked all of the screws by the way)
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It'll be a wheel or handle or something that's come loose.

If all that seems OK, move the cab to another room and try again. I've been caught out chasing rattles that turned out to be the desk or the window pane.

If it's srill doing it, it's possible the speaker has digested a piece of debris. Sometimes it's a simple matter of pulling out the speaker and brushing some dust/gunk/screws/washers out of the speaker's magnet and suspension.

One of these will fix it. It should anyway. If it doesn't, let me know and we'll dig deeper.
  3. NDbassist

Apr 17, 2005
    I checked it out, and it is definately the grill. I took the grill itself off and played it, and it sounded perfect. So it is definately the grill and not a loose piece....
  4. NDbassist

Apr 17, 2005
    Alright i figured out what it was. The screws were too tight on the grill. If i loosened them quite a bit, it hardly ever rattles... Only when I hit one specific note: G on the low E string...
  5. I don't know how that particular grill is installed but see if you can use rubber spacers or washers with the screws.