Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grilled cheese: issues

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 14, 2004.

1. I have a big problem in making grilled cheese: The bread always browns/burns way before the cheese melts. Are there any ways to get the cheese to melt without having black bread?

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Dont turn the burner up more than 1/2 way.

3. Depends on the cheese and how you like yours made.
    The stuff that comes in the indevidualy wrapped slices works best but the only reason it is called cheese is that the package says "processed CHEESE food".

I usualy use a lot of butter and press the sandwich flat as I am making it, and don't put the bunur on high.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    George Foreman Grill. Butter outside sides of bread. Use any cheese you want. Its a good temperature and makes interesting grill lines on bread.heh.

5. What are you guys talking about? :confused:

You put some cheese in a pan, melt it, get what you can on some bread and...wait....is that why I never liked grilled cheese sandwhiches? I was doing it wrong :confused: Wow, just wow.

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Butter the bread and turn the heat down. If you want to get exotic you could put chopped up hot dogs in your sandwhich too.

7. Thank you! Someone else understands how well the george foreman makes grilled cheese! Done in 5 min, no flipping, mmmmmm.

8. :D

Seriously, if the cheese you use doen't melt well, you can just kind of hold it over the pan to get it alittle pre-warmed....you don't take it straight from fridge to bread do you, cause if so you might want to try just letting it get to room tempature before posting a thread :p

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

microwave it first.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Obviously, you just suck and should stop making sandwhiches.

;)

11. i have one too.

12. Toast it both together for a bit, then smack it in the microwave for 20 secs to melt the cheese that hasn't yet melted.

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    noooooo. microwave makes bread soggy :(

14. Hey, thanks for the help guys! I needa try these techniques for proper cheese melting. I think also I might be using too much butter. One of my friends said you needa put the cheese on a slice of bread, and put it face down on the pan first, then put on the other piece. I'll try all this stuff today. Thanks guys!

15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What is really interesting is the way we make them in the broiler at the restaurant I work at :D

My personal favorite grilled cheese type sammich is with two slices of cheddar, one of american, a thin slice of ham, and a slice of tomato. DELICIOUS!!! Dunk in some cream of mushroom soup, and you got some gooooood old fashioned comfort food right there :cool:

16. Not if you toast both sides first, then no longer than 20 secs, try it.

17. I've always had this thing against microwaves; it's probably because they're evil.

18. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Put a pot lid over the sandwich as you cook. This creates an even melting environment. Only use medium heat.

19. yeah same.

20. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    How do you make the sandwiches?

Here's how I do it and it comes out perfect:

Take two pieces of bread and put cheese in the middle.
    Butter one side.
    Put it in the microwave for 30 secs so the cheese sticks to the bread.
    Toss the sandwich on the pan (buttered side down obviously).
    Butter the other side.
    Flip when ready.

Microwaves are evil, but just like wal-mart, sometimes evils are necessary and have their purpose.
    The George Foreman idea sounds very good also.

BTW - For the sake of the pans, you should never exceed medium heat.