Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grind™ Bass 4 BXP NTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Hey guys, i know ive been changing my mind tons of tims, but now its definatly between 2 basse which are:

The Yamaha RBX374, and the Peavey Grind™ Bass 4 BXP NTB. im not sure if peavey makes good basses but when i was looking at axemusic.ca, i came across a peavey bass that was under 400. It also has a neck through neck, 2 humbukers. THe problem is that if i order from a local tore im not sure if im getting the same price as the one here :http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=35&P_ID=4875&PT_ID=61

Tell me what you guys think about the Peavey. And which one i would be better off playing with

(BTW i think the peavey would look better when im playing in my church(see that the only way i can get a new bass and if i have to play in a church i might as well do it))

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
  3. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    No one knows about this bass?

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Haven't played one plugged in since about a year ago and that was on an unfamiliar amp, so I can't comment on the sound. I do recall there were a couple construction issues -- mostly frets poking out the end of the fretboard and just some random spots where the finish wasn't exactly fun. All in all, it looks like an amateur "boutique" bass that was rushed out.

Note: The issues I mentioned above are not unique to that bass. I've played about 3 or 4 of the same model, and they all had the same problems.

As far as the Yamaha, sounds good, plays good, constructed very well, and the company backs up their product well. I'd go for a Yamaha 'cause...well, I already did! (Proud owner of a BB404F.)

-Aaron

5. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    ty for our opinion, looks like i probably will get the yamaha, unles someone says goo tihngs about the peavey

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I generally like Peavey (I own two) but I am not too keen on the Grind. You have to look through them to find the good ones. I think you are better off with the Yamaha at your price point. BTW I found the service at Axe Music to be above average.

7. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    so isnt that good if i buy the peavey i actually save like 40 buks, which i can put towards buying a new amp. I'll have to order from axemusic, and if they give me a **** one illl send it back saying that you guys gave me a defected bass, and theyll take it back and replacee it with a non defected bass right???!?!?!

but ionno something about that bass struck me

8. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    When ordering sight unseen you are batting the averages. In the case of the Grind the averages are low. It is also a hassle returning a bass to a retailer that sells online as you have to pay the shipping back ($40 gone). Best to go with the high average - hence Yamaha. If you were looking at the Peavey Fury QT or the Peavey Millennium AC BXP then I would have said to order the Peavey.

9. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    oo
    how much woudl those(fury Qt and the other one)be? (CANADIAN FUNDS )??

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Why don't you check the Axemusic site yourself?

11. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    trulol, wellactive electronics rihgt?
    ?

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, I'd hesitate to buy the Grind NTB sight unseen, Hambone has checked out quite a few of them and from reading his posts here are a few things I remember:

There are some significant variations in the thickness of the bass. This is kind of surprising in any mass produced instrument, and IMO indicative of poor quality control, even though they may be made very well (all the one's I've seen have been) it's a strange variable to have.

The DARKER the wood it is made out of the better they sound (to Hambone at least...). That leads me to feel that you might very well find one that suits you perfectly, but you're just as likely to find many you don't like the tone of.

Of course this is my memory of Hambone's comments, He may well post in here and set my poor memory strait.

Also, you might consider being a little less anxious about getting replys. TB tends to be less active in the mornings (US timewise) and today being a major holiday in the states, but I wouldn't think that you aren't getting any responses after about an hour, give it 6 hours to a day or so before you bump threads.

13. Anyone remember the old Grind basses??? The ones with the P/J set in them?? I actually liked those, quite a alot I might add...

Anyway, I'd say no to the Yammy, just because its against one of my favorites... But, I wouldn't suggest the Grind BXP NTB, instead go for the Fury, Millenium AC BXO, or if you can find 'em for cheap, or be willing to save a bit more, a Cirrus BXP.

IMO, Peavey's stuff is was better to Yamaha's in this range, and all ranges for that fact. I love my Peavey, and I know I'll buy a Cirrus some day (most likely the new bolt-ons) but for right now, I'm content with my Millenium BXP. (Hell, I'll most likely snap up a USA Millenium sometime too... Gotta love that humbucker/single coil action going on there!)

So, shop around for the Fury, Millenium AC BXP, and the Cirrus BXP... All active 3 band eq... Same one in all three if I'm not mistaken.

Also, IMO, the Fury is the best bang for its buck in the price range, $400(us) the Millenium AC BXP is $300(us) and the Cirrus BXP is around $600(us).. I think. You get what you pay for.

GO PEAVEY! :D

~Ryan

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    T_T: www.xe.com/ucc -- money converter. That way you can always find out what it is in Canadian funds.

15. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Damit, i looked forward towards getting that peavey, but it has bad reviews, i guess ill go for the yamaha? Unless somone can show me a better bass for the same amount of money?

16. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    personaly i loved the 5 string grinds ive played, and plan on buying one and replacing the pups to EMGs

17. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Maybe you should save up for a Yamaha BB614, I've heard those are great. I would get one myself, but I'm a little low on funds. Just beg someone for the extra cash. It's $450 (US) so that's $558 (Canadian)

Or... If you don't have that much... you could try the Yamaha BB 414, it is the same pass, just passive. It is also $50 dollars cheaper in the USA, so it's $62 for you.

18. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Pasda Beer do they sound good, i dont really care if theres paint missing, i just need to know if it sounds good, and im upgrading from my squier so dont completly need a kick ass bass just as yet or do i?

19. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
  20. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Guys looks like im gonna get it, i've read the reviews here at TB, and i deceided to take a chance, althouhg sometimes the finishes arent too great, but ill take a chance.