Grind speaker frames?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, Feb 20, 2005.

1. I recently bought a pair of Eminence Deltalite 10's to replace the speakers in my Fender Bassman 400 combo. The frames on these new deltalites are cast and are a lot beefier than the old stamped drivers. I had to grind out part of the wood on the cab already to fit them in one at a time, but now that I have one in the frames are too big and touch each other a little bit. Its just the outer rim of the frame I want to grind, does anyone think its a bad idea? here is an illustration of what Im talking about...

Attached Files:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd be inclined to opine that those aren't the right speakers for that cab. Sell them and get something else. Don't mutilate them and reduce their basket strength.
  3. I think its a bad idea.

Either take Mr Moesle's advice or build a new cab for the speakers.

Josh D
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How much material do you have to remove? If it's less than an eighth of an inch, I'd try it. On the other hand, they may not sound that great, since the cab was designed for speakers with different characteristics. Then on the other hand, there's the remote chance that they will sound totally bitchen. It's hard to say. Could be bad, could be good, you just never know.
  5. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    They'll probably sound like crap in that cab. There is a tiny tiny chance that they'll sound good but it's not likely. You can't really switch out speakers. Every speaker has different perameters and sounds good in a different size enclosers with different size ports. When replacing speakers you want to go with whatever you had in there before.
  6. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I would not be as concerned about whether or not those drivers will work in that cab, as I would be about getting metal shavings in the voice coil gap. The dustcap on those drivers is a mesh material. If you start grinding the speakers without having a really good seal on them, you'll ruin the speakers for sure.

7. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Hmmm - not that familiar with the Bassman 400 - is it capable of driving an external speaker cab? If so, you could pick up a speakerless cabinet from Avatar speakers ( and drop your Deltalites in them. His cabinets are top-notch construction and are designed with the Emminence Delta series speakers (including the Neodymium Deltalites too), so the Deltalites will definitely fit. Just be careful that ohm-age of your Deltalites jives with what the Bassman can or can't drive. It's just a thought - but all this of course would defeat the purpose of a lighter-weight speaker pair/sound difference in the Bassman. I don't agree with the other posts - the Deltalites will probably sound great in the Bassman. I dropped a pair in a Peavey 2x10 box last year, and it made a night and day difference (for the better), but then again I wasn't dealing with a combo amp and certainly did not have to grind out any wood to do so. If you must have the Deltalites in the Bassman, definitely heed the advice of rpatter and make sure those metal shavings stay away from the voicecoil. In an ideal world, you could sell off the combo, maybe pickup a Fender head and run a seperate Deltalite cabinet(s)? No longer a combo unit, but maybe a little more flexible for expansion in the long run with the ability to bring seperate cab(s) depending on the size of the gig you are playing. Just tossing out ideas in case you hadn't thought of all this already. Good luck.

8. Yeah I checked out the specs before I ordered the Deltalites- Im not that much of a noobie :D I plugged everything into WinSID and it shows that with the Deltalites they will be getting their optimal 2.5 cu ft. and the box will be tuned to 40 Hz. I didnt get the Neos for weight savings, I got them because they had the lowest Fs of any delta 10's I could find, and they had a nice power handling. When I retire the bassman maybe I will build a cab for fun and use these. I'm sure I could use plastic and tape to cover up any openings so I dont get dust and shavings inside the speakers. It looks like I'd only have to remove about 1/8" to make them fit. Think I'll ruin them?

Edit: If you want to see how they'll perform, just put the Ts specs into WinISD and change the tuning frequency to 40hz. Thats all. I need this thing for like four more PA supported gigs and then I'm ditching it for a GK 1001RBII and a 4x10 or 2x12 cab until the big things come through.
  9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    No, I don't think you'll ruin them. I think taking off that little of the frame edge won't make a lick of difference sonically or compromise any structural integrity at all. I know from experience those Emminence Delta frame/baskets are rugged, you'd have to do a LOT more than remove a small shaving to cause any real harm. Yeah, I run the Delta's and more recently, Deltalites in all my cabs because of the awesome specs alone and of course - the fantastic tone! Please let us all know how it goes, I bet the thing will straight out rock when it's done!

I wonder if you'll leave the Deltalites in the Bassman when you go to sell it off, or if the original speakers will still fit with the extra wood that has been removed? Just curious. Some people prefer "stock" stuff only.

10. The original speakers will fit fine. If you look on the diagram I made, you can see the frame hits the outside edge of the cab, so I didnt even alter the cutouts or mounting holes. Everything lined up perfectly, those huge frames just caused some problems. When I get home this weekend I'll do some grinding and let you guys know how it goes. BTW I got these new speakers because one of the old one's blew and I didn't want to go OEM, so I got two matching new ones. I tried it out with the original non-blown speaker and a deltalite and it sounded as good as it did new, so I'm sure when the other one goes in it will be nice. Of course I just found out our new guitarist is using a valvestate 100 with an overdrive for more gain, so I'm gonna need something new anyway. :meh:
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Instead of grinding the speaker frames, why not just open up the holes in the cabinet a bit with a wood rasp? You will have to move the screw holes as well, but it's not a huge deal.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That won't work. The speakers are already hitting cab's side walls.

Don't grind off any more than you have to. And if there's anything to suggest grinding might give the air inside the cab a means of leaking out, then forget the whole idea. And make sure you don't end up with iron filings all through the speaker cone and magnet assembly.
  13. Well I went ahead and ground the edges down. The speakers now fit like a tight glove, but the sound is just amazing. I tested it out with my Cort Curbow which came stock with barts. I've never heard a speaker cab sound so uncolored before (never played any boutique stuff.) The sound is so detailed its almost a bad thing. I can hear every single little thing I'm playing, including all my sloppy mistakes that got covered up before; the mud is completely gone. Moving my picking postion closer and further from the neck makes a HUGE difference now. If its closer to the neck I can get a nice warm fat sound, and if its closer to the bridge the sound is very clear and exposed. It produces strong lows and low mids and slightly less high mids, around Bb on the G string doesn't stick out as much, but I could EQ that section stronger if I wanted to. Playing in drop D and C# is not a problem, the notes are as clear and articulate as anything else. I don't have a bass with a good low B, but I imagine it would handle that fine too. If Avatar's neo cabs sound as good as this then I will be extremely pleased when I make the switch to a head/cab rig.
  14. Glad everything sounds good to you,,,,,,,,,,but, I just would have bought a real cab and went back to playing....leave the woodshop and metalshop to someone many "variables" ...........Let us know how it sounds on stage!....I mean really , how big a room are you playing?.........How many watts? & did it work for you?l
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego