Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grindcore

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MCT, Sep 3, 2005.

1. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    What makes grindcore grindcore? From what I've heard it's really complicated riffs and blast beats, but I'd really like to get into playing like this.

2. two words.

Lightning Bolt.

Grindcore is pretty much a genre for the genreless with one thing in common. They play loud. That's it. Buy a distortion pedal, play fast, and play loud, and you become "grindcore" in the sense of the genre.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I disagree, Freaky. It's not just loud and fast. That more or less encompasses all forms of metal. Tech, death, black, power, brutal, math, whatever. Heck, a lot of forms of music are loud and fast. It's not a genre for the genreless, as you said. Playing loud and fast don't make you become anything in the sense of the genre. That's where something like "noise rock" comes in. I.e. Lightning Bolt, Melt Banana, and their ilk.

It's part asthetic, part subject matter, and part songwriting structure. Extremely short songs are common (grindcore songs breaking the 2 minute mark aren't very common, and breaking 3 is almost unheard of), heavy use of blast beats, and churning, jumping guitars (sometimes criticised as being nothing but "pit music"), as well as an intentional complete lack of melody. It's got a brother in punk like that. Both share the DIY attitute and asthetic, short song structures, and political leanings. This may sound like a pretty broad ranging description, but it is fairly apparent once you "get" grindcore. There's no confusing a death and a grind outfit.

Basically, listen to Pig Destroyer's "Terrifyer", and then listen to just about any other "fast, loud" music. Precisely what grindcore is will become very, very apparent. If I was going to use two words, it'd be Napalm Death or Pig Destroyer.

Check out Pig Destroyer, Terrorizer, Unseen Terror, Nasum, Napalm Death (fathers of the genre), Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Brutal Truth, Discordance Axis... these are some of the more well known grindcore acts.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Brendan: Has Napalm Death's work, past the first two albums really, changed to Death Metal? Because something like Scum fits the bill of early grind (being the first grind album... lacking melody... fast... punky), but later on, they kept their structure the same, but would often have melodic leads/riffs.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Death? No. The inclusion of melody isn't strictly un-grindcore, it's just more or less incidental. Just like how you can have brutal death and straight death metal; Napalm sorta started out the former, and came into the latter (speaking in the parameters of grindcore, of course). Still grindcore, just a slightly different version.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Having pitbulls sing for your band helps too.

7. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I've listened to a lot of pig destroyer. So you're saying the keep the melody on the downlow and you'll get a grindcore sound?

8. The Locust. Although I hear they're experimental grind, still very good though.

I don't think Lightning Bolt is really grind. Too melodic.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, I have a problem accepting a difference Grindcore vs. Brutal Death metal.

10. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I love grindcore. I prefer the low gutterals over the high screams. I'm in a grindcore band myself. Its called Anal Secretion. you can listen to us at www.myspace.com/analgrind. (not work safe).
    Have a listen and tell me how you like it.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anal Secretion bwaaahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. That is the metalist band name I've heard all day! You are so on my friends list.

Edit: The Music is good Grind... the vocals have gone beyond anything ever, not in a good way. It's not even just screaming, it's weird dying monkey noises.

12. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Thanks man. That guy doesn't do our vocals anymore though. We should be recording a 10 song demo cd tomorrow or sometime soon that i'm gonna give that out for free. We are also going to record a 40 song cd/dvd called "The Hoppin' John Whore House" and sell that for $5.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, that's really cool. Making music for making music, not for a profit.

Cheers.

14. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I can't imagine profiting from selling the cds. If we do though, it just goes to the next cd. I'll let you know when we get the demo recorded and I'll mail it to you.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cool. Thanks. :bassist:

16. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL