Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frankencow150, Feb 8, 2003.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    just wondering if anyone else is into grindcore such as..

the locust
    love lost but not forgotten(more "screamo" but whatever)
    pig destroyer
    animatronic terror noise
    napalm death
    an*l c*nt
    blood duster

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What do you need to know? :D
  3. Screamo...grindcore...monkey gnashing...goat milking

What is music coming to???
  4. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Long live Soilent Green! RAAAAAAAAHHHH!
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright could someone explain grindcore to me. It was to my understanding grindcore was super slow crushing metal. I recently bought Napalm Death's "Inside the torn apart". I think it's great, but it's only got a few parts that are "slow".
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh, and AC is awesome!
  7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    hey...i just said grindcore cuz i didnt know how to explain the bands i listed and thats what ive heard them called. ill have to check out soilent green.

stupidmatt...just download a few songs by those bands and youll know what im talking about. to sum it up...REALLY fast, kinda sloppy, and lots of screaming and grunting.
  8. AC is hilarious.

On a personal note...i hate the term screamo. It bothers me. So i call it emocore.
  9. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    I'm not a fan on Napalm's albums (I like the live one though), but have seen them a few times and they are a most excellent live act which all o' you young'uns should bear witness to if you want to see what real live rock'n'roll is about.

There's something to be said for veteran performers who can crank it out like they do every night. There is a musical energy and tightness in their performances that is a joy to witness. Truly a top-notch rock'n'roll act that can rock your socks off.

They take the time to walk around the venue and talk with people too - very nice chaps.

Last time I saw them, a few years ago, the first couple of numbers were kinda flat. My girlfriend and I exchanged glances and shook our heads, saying "something's not right". Then Barney took his shirt off, gave the guys a little what for onstage which you couldn't hear 'cause he'd put the mic down. That woke them up and they were the real deal after that for the rest of the show.

For fans of theirs, they're on the cover of this month's "Unrestrained!" magazine, pictured in front of the twin towers in Kuala Lumpur. Neato!
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

not to pry but isn't that metal... death metal... thrash metal...
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Grindcore, hardcore, happy hardcore, hatecore, screamcore....whatever happened to goodcore?
  12. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What is the difference between all those kinds of metal? Thrash metal, death metal, and whatever the hell else there is... grindcore, hardcore, screamcore (does that exist or did you make it up?)... are they more kinds of metal or what?

Why can't you just call it metal and be done with it? :D
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Is KillDozer grindcore? I mean they're ancient, but they kinda makes "grunge" look mellow to hear them.
  14. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    All popular ar long-lived genres have many subgenres. Jazz for example, which is often crossed over into some forms of metal.

These names seem silly/useless, but if someone says to me "Dude, my new band is sort-of a screamo/grindcore cross." I know roughly what they sound like and whether I might dig them. Think about it. If I say "Poison is a metal band." is it the case that they are a band you might like? You can better make that decision if I say that "Poison is an LA popmetal glam band.", then you certainly wouldn't confuse them with someone like Gorguts, who are also "metal" but more accurately described as "technical death" or "math".

Try it, it's fun !

Me, I lose it when it comes to techno subgenres. I dunno "acid" from "downtempo house" to "new school drum & bass" to "trance". I know what I like, but I dunno what to call it if I need to hold a conversation about it.

P.Aaron - yes. It's a precurser to the moniker, but it fits. Good call !
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So Smash, are you saying these metal genres are more or less self applied? Or could you go to a show and say, that was a pretty cool death metal band, but the grindcore band after them sucked?
  16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    would you consider Los fantomas grindcore? or is that more of noisecore? I don't know....I really don't keep up with genres and labels, I just listen to what I listen to and like what I like.

on a side note AC(whose true name shalt not be uttered here ;) is pretty funny, I definatly like their philosphy of being the "most offensive band possible"
    supposedly they are no strangers to either kicking people's asses or getting their asses kicked after, before, or during shows. :D
  17. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000

Of course! It'd be like saying "I enjoyed the prog band but the trad jazz band that came after them wasn't as good ... but my fave though was the singer/songwriter." But if you said to me "I wasn't feeling the groove when they switched from trip hop to acid house, but the jungle beats were keen." then I'd say "What?! You freak! Got any E?" ;)
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

ok ok... death metal they sing about death... but musically what seperates grindcore from death, from hardcore with metal influence>> :bassist:
  19. Nothing....but don't tell them that! :eek:
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

hardcore kids get pissed if you call them metal... and visa versa.