Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gripmaster - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Love it, use it regularly, really helps

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Useful to maintain conditioning when unable to play

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Not really useful

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. A total waste of time

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. Harmful, can cause damage

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I've seen a few threads with conflicting opins on the Gripmaster. Here's your chance to weigh in.

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I use one sometimes. Helps keep the forearms strong and helps to keep you from cramping. I think its fairly useful.

3. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    i bought the red one awhile back. i originally used it to strengthen my left hand pinky, because that finger was very weak when i started playing. More recently i have used it for my right hand, strengthening the fingers so I can acomplish two hand tapping easier.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Do people actually use these things!

Playing EB isn't about strength it's about technique. A gripmaster wqont imrpve your fretted or fretless technique, just the strenght in your hand, which is essentially not all that relevant.

My 2p worth.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Agree with Howard - this won't make you a better musician, but I find it to be an excellent warmup tool on the way to a gig.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ...ever heard of pockets billiards? ;)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL. You're not gonna do that on the way to the gig though, are you Howard? Especially not if you're driving :)

I suppose if you were on a train you could sneak off to the toilet :)

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I meant warming up for the GIG, not for the groupies afterwards! :D

9. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    He beat me to it.

Oh, and fellas, you are all in need of some help. Yeesh.

10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I totally agree, won't help your bass playing at all. It does help you to keep from cramping during long sets, however. This is why I find it useful. It also makes your forearms look badass.:D :rolleyes:

11. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    You'll hurt your hands don't do it. There are no shortcuts to practice!

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I like it because it gets the blood flowing. After 4 long years of electronics/appliances delivery, the fingers have a little arthritis. Really helps with the pain. And, I can now play a little faster on the index-middle-index rotation.

All in all, I like it.:)

13. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    I think that it could help beginners more than it helps experienced people.. Also, I think it would help a bit more for speed rather than grip.. Anyway, it all comes down to real practice.

14. Couldn't you use one of those little stress reliever balls instead? The little balloon looking things with sand inside? Helps me warm up a little bit, but I certainly don't use it for strengthening purposes.

15. Agreed! nothin makes for a better player but studying and practcing! I got one cause I'm a sales rep.for a food distributer by day and put a good 100 miles in every day so I thought it would be a good tool to keep the hands and fingers in shape and possibly give me some more endurance for the end of the second set and third. I think it's good for that and keeps the fingers loose. Funny thing the best players ive seen seem to float over the bass like ninjas effortlessly on the neck and strings. Without the dreded gorilla grip.Like I get.

Just my 2.3754 cents

16. zyxwfish

zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    THe dyna flex found on this web site http://www.bindependent.com/hompg/b...dexercise.htm#Hand Exercisers#Hand Exercisers
    This device makes it feel like you've practiced 2 hours before you pick up your bass. You still have to practice but this thing wakes up your arms fingers and mind. It's a gyroscopic ball that gains mass as you spin it. It mimics finger picking and fretting with the left hand. It is slight a short cut but you still have to practice. I highy recommend it. I was able to increase my speed to 16th notes at 160 beats per minute with in a month of using this thing. It strengthens your fingers arms and mind in a short time. Don't get those finger exersizers from the music shop they don't work this thing does. It's my bible.

17. It doesn't gain mass. That would violate a few important laws of the universe.

18. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've never found one to be much help.

I bought one and tried it out for a few months, using it pretty much whenever I had any extra time, but there wasn't enough resistance to help me out at all...But then again, I'm a guy who cracks open walnuts and pecans with my hands to build strength in the fingers.

You can't munch the Gripmaster after you're done working with it. :D

For stretching and warming up, I use thick rubber bands. That way I work all the joints of the finger forward and backward instead of just the clampdown.

19. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    i voted harmful.

i bought one about a year ago because i thought it would be a good way to strengthen my hands and wrists while i was waiting for compiles to finish at work (otherwise just sitting there doing nothing).

a friend of mine kept telling me to lose it, that i'd end up hurting myself, but i kept using it. not too much, but maybe 20 minutes a day or so total, for a couple weeks.

well, one day, i felt this horrible pain in my wrist or forearm or whatever it is. i couldn't practice for almost a week, and i still can't put full weight on either hand with my wrist bent. (a similar thing had happened to my other arm during a tennis match in college. ouch)

so ummm... i do not recommend it. practice instead. :)

20. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    i think this is a pretty s|c tool. but i think you should use it occasionally, like every 2-3 days. it helps build muscles that is a great help (like i said every 2-3 days), but this doesn't replace practicing at all. do this for like 10 or 15 minutes every 2-3 days and practice regualarly :D :p :D :) _-+SoTo+-_