1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GRIT: Memoirs of a Musician pt. 4

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by RareEB5, May 18, 2012.

1. RareEB5

RareEB5

Apr 17, 2012
    Union Grove, AL
    The Tina & Armand Experience

So, the band had broken up. At least that was my understanding. So once again I was in limbo, with no direction and no band. This seems to be a bit of a recurring theme at this point in my life.

Three weeks later, I get a call.

"Hey, man, it's Armand."

Great. The Prodigal Hippie returns. "Hey, Armand. What's up?"

"Well, Tina and I have reconciled," (ugh) "and we're putting the band back together. Are you in?"

What the hell? I got nothing better to do. "Sure."

"Ok, great. Um.... Also Tina and I have discussed it, um, and we, um, don't want Kyle to come back."

Whoa, time out. Kyle is my best friend. I had, at this point, never been a part of any band without him. He was the baddest guitarist I knew. I couldn't imagine playing without him. This was tough to swallow. I was actually pretty pissed that they wanted to split us up.

So, I went to Kyle and talked to him about it. And, in typical Kyle fashion, he was cool about the whole thing and even encouraged me to keep playing. So, I reluctantly agreed.

This was when I met the two guys who would become my stage brothers for over the next decade. They would eventually expand and shape my taste in music, my style of playing, my technique, my stage presence... and all without even knowing it.

I walked into the first rehearsal of the new lineup and was introduced to Michael, the new drummer. He was twice my age but full of spark and was amazing behind a drum kit. The guitarist, Glen, was of similar age and an incredible blues man. We clicked immediately, which.was fortunate because Tina was never.even there and Armand stayed long enough to introduce us before he left.

So, Glen was appointed "band leader" despite his protests. The new band would do about 8 songs our singer would sing, 8 songs.Armand would sing, and the rest of the four hour setlist would be up to Glen, Michael and I to perform... without the other two members. It was bizarre to say the least.

It was also, thankfully, short lived. We played together for about a month before it all went to the wayside. But the bond between the 3 "band" members was formed, and we struck out on our own as the newly formed band, Little Wing.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    +1 to posting your stories in the same thread. Everyone interested will subscribe and get automatic updates when you post new stories.

Much easier to follow.

3. RareEB5

RareEB5

Apr 17, 2012
    Union Grove, AL
    Thanks for the idea. I'm new to this lol! All 4 are now on one thread

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    If you can post the thread url here, that would be helpful as well.

Also, you can change your setup in "My TalkBass" so that you receive daily email updates from whatever threads you create, post in or subscribe to.

This makes it a lot easier, IMO, to keep up with things you are interested in. :)