Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flea666, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    i want just a little bit of grit in my sound, all the time. Im thinking of maybe gettin a sansamp rbi, then putting it in my fx loop and turning down at the EQ. Then just using my behringer head as a power amp, is that rite or is the rbi a power amp or pre, im not so good with these things. Does this sound like a good idea any way.

Thanks Mike

2. Why not try a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, it allows you to blend your clean signal with the overdirve in my opinion its perfect for "grit". Also you can try the Digitech Bad Monkey, not as refined as the sparkle drive but fot the price it is very good (does not have a clean/dirty blend).

3. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Yea ive got a digitech bad monkey its very good, i just want to use it for a heavy overdrive.

Cheers Mike

4. I've just bought an EBS multidrive.
    It gives me the perfect amount of grit i was looking for.
    I prefer the sound of this pedal compared to my BDDI. The sansamp sucks the mids too much.
    I have to say that the multidrive sucks the highs a bit when the drive is low, but nothing unfixeable with the amp.
    Moreover the EBS keeps the mojo of the bass compared to the BDDI.
    Hope that helps.

5. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    alrite i think im gonna keep my digitech bad monkey, i need a good overdrive pedal for about £60, what would people surjest??

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm partial to the Vintage Marshall Guv'nor myself. Gain at about 1 o'clock, bass cranked, mids about 1, and treble at about 4. :bassist:

7. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    i admit i am a fool and got rid of mine, but i made money on it, i didnt think it worked to well with my music man, ill look into it tho.

Cheers

8. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    alrite every one ive decided to keep the digitech bad monkey to use for heavy overdrive, i want a cheap pedal that i can use for a very slight overdrive so i can have it on all the time, what would you surjest?

sorry bout this
    Cheers Mike

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The DOD 250 is pretty well renowned.

10. i would say get another bad mokey and keep it at a lower gain setting. simple, cheap, you know what it sounds like.

11. My Comptortion gets pretty gritty before fully distorting....much better than my BDDI that I own....I can do Yes, Rush, FNM, and Tool pretty well on my Rick with this effect..

Or try the DOD Preamp 250, I've heard great things about those also..

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

Ofcourse that takes away the fun of playing with a new pedal! :D

13. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The man wrote about getting the RBI, not the BDDI. The RBI has got a Mid Pot. I fully second this idea about the RBI. IT WILL GET YOU THE RESULTS YOU WANT:)
    I am using mine with an SWR SM500: tuner out (pre eq) to the RBI and then back into the parallel effect return of the SWR. So I can dial in any amount of OD to my clean sound.

Using it as you described, straight into the Fx return of the Behringer head will get you great results too! You could even hook it purely in front of the Behringer amp!!

14. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Cheers For That Im going to look into it now!!

Cheers Mike

15. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    does any one kno a website you can get sansamp stuff frm???

Cheers Mike

16. yeh just use the behringer head as a power amp, and get the tone from the sansamp. Behringer tone sounds pure poop

17. I just discovered that if you crank the drive on the sansamp RBI (yes I own one), and use the Level to get grit, it works almost exactly as a tube amp when you turn Master volume up and run it using the gain. Just remember to keep the presence low, such as between 9-11 o'clock or you will suck the soul out of your mids.

I also crank my mids and lower my bass and treble just a tad, and it sounds BEAUTIFUL.