1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Grizzly Bass Pedal as a Speaker Emulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by velalv, Nov 23, 2020.

1. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Hi All:

I have a small pedalboard consisting of a EQD Warden Compressor, a Grizzly Bass, and a EQD Sea Machine for Chorusing. I have space for one more pedal, and was thinking of a speaker emulator since I tend to play in places that want me to go direct and monitor through wedges. It's such a versatile pedal that I use it as an almost always on light overdrive Tube amp sim. However, I heard that the Grizzly Bass could act as a speaker emulator. Has anyone used it that way? I am between using it as a speaker sim and getting another overdrive or getting a DSM Omnicab Sim. Thanks for the help.

2. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    I wouldn't really consider it a Speaker Emulator.

It does have a Hi Cut option to roll of some highs, but it will only work while the Grizzly is on, so kinda limiting in that respect.

Typically you'd want some Low Cut as well to replicate a speaker response to roll off lows, as well as some addition EQ and Resonance for a true "Speaker/Cab Sim".

It would kinda work in a pinch, but if you do a lot of direct to board/FOH, it would probably be worth going with something like an OmniCabSim, or a full blown IR Loader of some kind, depending on your needs and budget.

3. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    It'd get the job done in a pinch, but if you're happy with the dirt you get from Grizzly Bass it makes a lot more sense to assign it the overdrive duties and get a more capable cabsim instead.

+1 for OmniCabSim --the full sized one-- especially because you'll use it live. Browsing through your IR collection and praying that you have a good fit for the situation gets old fast.

gh0st42 likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021