1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grizzly Bass saves the day

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dougjwray, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:37 AM.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I had a recording session at my band mate's house the other night (adding bass to his drum tracks), and I assumed I would go direct. However, he wanted to mic my cabinet. In the trunk of my car, I had a GK MB200 head and Neo 112II cabinet, the rig I use to rehearse with this band in a small room. It sounds OK in there with the rest of the band, but in this scenario it would have been too sterile and bright.
    Luckily, I happened to have my Grizzly Bass in my gig bag!
    Overdrive at 11:00 o'clock, mid-cut slightly engaged (4:00 o'clock), the rest flat, tone knob on my P Bass down about a quarter turn (brand new DR Pure Blues strings), and the sound was warm. I found the sweet spot where there was audible distortion if I dug in, but sweet fatness when I didn't. The MB200 was flat, except that I rolled off a tiny bit of low end.
    The Grizzly is a bit expensive, but wow...

Phil60, cataract, BrentSimons and 2 others like this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Grizzly is an awesome pedal!

BrentSimons and Fuzzbass like this.
  3. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The Grizzly’s one of the few choice pedals I’ve yet to try. Need to snag one soon!

4. Phil60

Phil60

Jul 2, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    I've only had mine since Wednesday, so far I love what I'm hearing!

cataract likes this.
  5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm not an effects expert by any means, but what I like about the Grizzly Bass is that it sounds so natural. And the few other overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals I've tried are either too subtle or too extreme. This one goes from completely dry to monstrous with "infinite" gradations in between. It feels "analog." Plus, it has the hi-cut and mid-cut controls, which are very musical and useful. The mid-cut affects 800 hz, and GK's "contour" control affects 500 hz... so between the two of them, I can dial in a good tone.