1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

grizzly benches

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Son of Magni, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I remember some time back someone was asking whether these benches were any good. After a 5 month wait I finally have mine. It is huge and solid as a rock. Drawer slides are good, vices can use some tweaking but are at least as good as I expected. Only complaint is the screws for the drawer handles are too short and only catch on about 2 threads, easy enough to fix.

So here it is, all 300lbs of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Sweet! What does one of those babies set you back?

3. Nice bench - a couple of questions from someone who uses a B&D workmate :)

In bass building, how much use would you expect to get from the shoulder vice?

Is that yellow birch?

Cheers!

4. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

IIRC we used very similar benches at school, more years ago than I care to remember. They were made of beech.

It makes me smile a little that somebody with phenomenal woodworking skills waits 5 months for a bought in bench ;)

I guess it's a case of what came first, the woodworker or the bench :D

5. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    If they ordered more than 1 they might have them in stock...
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/H8110

It looks like birch to me but I don't work with birch so I'm not an expert at identifying it.
    Shoulder vise, well building instruments I'm always looking for different ways to clamp or hold things at different positions. I think it will get plenty of use.

Whatever wood it is it must be something that is indigenous to China.

It's priorities, this bench would take me months to build in my spare time if I had any spare time. Plus the project would take up most of my shop.

More to the story: After I ordered it I got an email saying it's not in stock and it would be 6 weeks, so I said I can wait the 6 weeks. The after 6 weeks they said another 4 weeks and asked if I wanted to cancel, so still I figured I could wait. Then there's the earthquake in China so I figured all bets are off and just forgot about it. So last Friday my wife tells me UPS called to schedule a delivery of a package that weighs 360 lbs. Took me a minute to realize what it was :confused:

6. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
  7. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses

The second link you posted looks a lot like the one I bought a few months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes from the same Chinese factory.

It's a bit wobbly but solid enough and a good deal for the price I paid ($125 AUD on sale at 1/2 price) I had to plane down the top of the drawers for them to go in an out properly but once setup its a decent bench. Setup might also mean nailing an X at the back of the bench to stop the wobbling. On my model I've got two vices. That alone will cost you what I paid for it in Australia, so I'm happy with it.

I use it as my setup bench in my practice/setup room. I've got another bigger homemade one in my woodwork room where the big work gets done. I probably wouldn't use that one there.

Karl's bench is giving me serious GAS though :p

8. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses

I was thinking of this post while working on my bench and I just HAD to post this pic. :D

Sometimes having a tool channel is not exactly the best thing to do. :p Try finding the tool you want in that mess.

Squier.

9. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    At least you have a pair of speakers close so you can listen a complete double cd live recording while you search :D

10. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    The bench I had been using was a sjobergs bench similar to those. I was sick of using a wobbly wiggly bench and my tools falling off on the floor whenever I did hand sanding or carving. This was one of the few benches made that have the tool channel and included plenty of storage.

Now Phil, about that tool channel. Of course I will never let mine get that cluttered ;)

11. How thick is the top on that? looks about 3 inches - is it that thick over the full width, or just the front where the bench dog holes are?

12. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    It's 4 inches thick and extends 7 inches from the front. At that point it becomes 2 1/2 thick until the tool tray. It's pretty massive, the top itself is probably 140+ lbs.

But for the more faint of heart, I just saw these benches that also look pretty nice:
    http://www.workbenchworld.com.au/top-of-the-range.html

13. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Oh yeah, the bench has rectangular bench dog holes. What do you think, purpleheart or ebony dogs?

14. After looking at the link, I'd say Jarrah! :hyper:

Ebony seems a little expensive and rare for utility uses, purple heart and jarrah are actually very easy to get hold of over here, purple heart is also very cheap!